Newell S332-5 to S322-5 Conversion

Started by Great Bass 2, October 25, 2014, 10:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunacious

I believe you'd have to replace the Newell 332 shaft with a 99 size shaft. This is the reverse of what I'm going to do with a couple 99 spools. I'm going to have a machinist replace the 99 shafts with Newell 332 shafts.

BonitaBch

Quote from: Tunacious on March 23, 2015, 08:41:04 PM
I believe you'd have to replace the Newell 332 shaft with a 99 size shaft. This is the reverse of what I'm going to do with a couple 99 spools. I'm going to have a machinist replace the 99 shafts with Newell 332 shafts.
Hey Tunacious, I may want to get in on that ... I have an S332 that I would like an aluminum spool for.
Bonita Beach, FL

Anglewood

Old thread, but I thought I'd chime in.

I have a Newell G-332F that I upgraded with a Tiburon frame and handle, Boca Bearings, and Bryan Young's Five Stack drag.  I have it mounted on a Super Seeker D8 and it is now my go-to surface iron rig.  In fact, last July, I was fortunate enough to catch a 41lb Cedros Yellow Tail using this exact rig.  The reel handled the fish no problem, and I was impressed with how well it handled and how smooth the drag was.  I'll put this rig against any of the modern options out there.  Here is a pic:

Newell's definitely still have their place in the west coast fishery.

-Connor

vilters

NICE fish Connor! I feel the same way about my 332's too  ;D

Bryan Young

One sweet fish Connor.  Mine were no where near that size.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

GalvestonGuy

I just picked up my first Newell. It is a S332-5 that looks like it is brand new. The drag feels smooth & it is loaded with new 40lb. mono. I plan on mating it with a Calstar 690J custom rod and hammering a few Bull Reds on the 61st St. Pier down here in Galveston, TX. Does that sound like a plan : )

Newell Nut

Yes Sir, The Newell 300 series is one tough reel and just handles like a dream.

Dwight

45user

Newbie here and got a question..so any of the 300 series can be converted to narrow using tiburon p21 frame?
Also I just got p322 and the spool rubs inside when testing free spool. Is there a remedy to fix this? I was told to play with the spool tensioner(?) on the side.
Thanks for your help

bigggfish

You can try to adjust the bearings by turning the screw like looking thing in the middle of each side plate (lefty loosey to back it off a touch).  Try it in about 1/8 turn increments on the side you hear "rubbing" and then if there is play in the spool tighten the other side a bit.  Now, it is a possibility if you hear "rubbing" or just noise, the bearings could be shot or you may need to add a shim.  They are easy to replace.  Go to ULUA junkies website and they have some good tutorial video's.
http://uluajunkies.com/maintenance.html

Good Luck.

45user

Quote from: bigggfish on April 27, 2016, 03:37:44 AM
You can try to adjust the bearings by turning the screw like looking thing in the middle of each side plate (lefty loosey to back it off a touch).  Try it in about 1/8 turn increments on the side you hear "rubbing" and then if there is play in the spool tighten the other side a bit.  Now, it is a possibility if you hear "rubbing" or just noise, the bearings could be shot or you may need to add a shim.  They are easy to replace.  Go to ULUA junkies website and they have some good tutorial video's.
http://uluajunkies.com/maintenance.html

Good Luck.
Thanks for the link and the explanation!

BonitaBch

Anglewood, fantastic fish, good job man 8)
Bonita Beach, FL