best momo

Started by Topshot, October 27, 2014, 12:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topshot

I'm looking to switch my catfish rigs over to mono. I fish sharp rock piles, log jams and brush piles. I'm tired of losing my expensive braid. I really love the no stretch of braid but the cost of losing it all the time is killing me. I'm looking for a good mono with very low strech. I was looking at ande monster and high seas quattro. I'm going to be running 80lb. I figure you saltwater guys have more experience with mono
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

SoCalAngler

All the thicker mono lines will have less streatch so you may want to look at Izorline's First String mono as you check out the others. We locally call it Izor rope do to it's thickness, Ande is thick also offering less streatch than some other lines. For the least streatch other than braid, fluoro line will have much less streatch than mono of the same thickness. Can you get away with something like a 25 yard fluoro topper over the braid?

Jeri

Hi  'Topshot',

A possible consideration for your problem might be to do what we do in surf fishing – braid with a nylon casting leader. Usually when we get stuck – hooked on the reef – the nylon to braid joint is usually the failure point.

If you are currently using braid – top off with about 30' of nylon, and then when you get a problem, the joint where the lines will part. The nylon will give a lot more abrasion resistance to the various obsstructions

Nylon and the whole family of associated polymers will all have a stretch issue – approximately 20-25%, but possibly more resistant to abrasion. Braids generally have exceptionally low stretch, but poor abrasion resistance.

Just a thought.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Shark Hunter

Chris,
Mono is all I use for Shark Fishing. 130lb Exsum from SNL Corporation. Its good stuff. On our last Trip, John had my Boy Mike make a long drop about 300 yards. I saw how much line was left on his 12/0 and said "There is no way that is 130lb" He still had a half spool. My 12/0 only holds about 450 yards of 130.
Come to find out it was 100lb suffix superior. 45 minutes later, He beaches a 500 lb Hammer!
I think my next purchase will be Suffix Superior! ;)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

smnaguwa

HI, the recent issue of Sports Fishing magazine tested fishing lines.

BMITCH

Momoi diamond illusion is what I've been using. Pretty good stuff.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I second momoi hi catch diamond

Newell Nut

Momoi Diamond for me too.

Doug

Momoi high  catch  gets my vote

Shark Hunter

The only reason I don't use Momoi is a 5 lb spool of 100lb test is about $250. I can get the Sufix for about $150. The Exsum which I have used several times is $80 shipped to my door. All three are made overseas.
Life is Good!

Rare

Few guys that I know have no issue with the bullbuster line when shark fishing. I think you guys should look into them and try them out.

How does:
5 lb spool 100 lb Test Bullbuster Fishing Line 1.00 mm 2803 yds for $105.00 sound?

Shark Hunter

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not in the market for any more line at the moment. I remember a discount on that from somewhere.
Pensacola Fishing Forum maybe, or SOS. After seeing that Sufix reel in a 500lb Great Hammerhead. I am sold on it.
I have heard good things about bullbuster.
My next purchase will be a 5 lb spool of High Seas Grand Slam 200lb for my 16/0 and Everol.
I'm going to back it with 200lb JB Hollow.
Life is Good!

FatTuna

Hey Daron, did you guys catch that shark on your trip last September? That thing is a monster. Impressive.

Hey how long do you guys get out of the heavier mono? My friend has a bunch of 80 wides with 150lb on them. He was debating whether or not to change out the line for next year.

Shark Hunter

Yes we Did Sean,
I change it out every other year. It depends on what I catch. That one that John Caught, Yea, I would definitely change that out because I know that line was pushed to its limits. John was yelling like a crazy man,(Probably because he is  ;) but he wouldn't let us help.
If its just a couple six footers. I'll reel the line onto another reel and use it for another season because the Bottom is still good and now it will be on top. Two seasons Max, but then again, I only Shark Fish Three to four weeks a year.
Life is Good!