Daiwa Sealine Saltwater Conventional Reel Specifications

Started by Bryan Young, October 28, 2014, 06:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Well Joe, you posted while I was typing, and it appears my "math" is validated exactly by the Boss....that's all I'd need...I think he has the handle and blade for them. If you haven't used his handles, they are beasts and about an inch longer in blade and grip for real cranking power.  I put them on my Internationals.

Decker

Thanks, John.  Sounds like there is an SS sleeve available for that reel, always a plus.  I guess the 450H is a keeper, then, something I can use. Maybe it could be a good backup for deep dropping too.  Those Kolekar handles are the bomb!

My go-to tuna is the Starkist yellowfin with olive oil and roasted garlic ;)  Though I caught a couple yellowfin, blackfin, and longfin as a kid, I'll be expanding my horizons when I book my first overnight party boat tuna trip.  Since pride does not allow me to rent a rod, having the reel, then the rod, puts me closer to booking the trip.  Hey, i I'm going to hang with the AT guys, I'd better be ready to move up in weight class. ;)

You said, "snatching grouper out of a rock."  Do you catch grouper in the Carolinas?

Decker

I've started a small collection of Sears (Daiwa) reels that were too good to pass up.  Saw this posted on a drag upgrade for the 900H by... guess who? 

ez2cdave

Quote from: Porthos on October 06, 2015, 12:55:55 AMOH, and the 300H, 350H, 400H, 450H, and 600H came in SILVER frames too.

The SILVER framed reels are the EARLY model . . . Later they switched to BLACK.

Tight Lines !

ijlal

My first trolling reel was a Daiwa 300H back in 1993 or 1994. Many 600H, 450H, 400H and 350H have passed through my hands since. Although these are very well built reels, I have always found their max drags to be overstated (unless, maybe, you use a wrench or pipe to tighten the star drag!)

I am a Penn guy, anyhow - no Daiwa star drags for me.

Just my .02!
I live 'fishing'!

Decker

Quote from: ijlal on July 13, 2018, 07:00:48 PM
My first trolling reel was a Daiwa 300H back in 1993 or 1994. Many 600H, 450H, 400H and 350H have passed through my hands since. Although these are very well built reels, I have always found their max drags to be overstated (unless, maybe, you use a wrench or pipe to tighten the star drag!)

Hi Ijlal, I'm not nearly as experienced as you, but have seen very similar comments about Daiwa drags posted here.  Luckily there is an Ultimate Upgrades (a.k.a. Bryan Young) 5-stack drag kit to fit several of the Sealine models.   Cheers,  /Joe

Porthos

Quote from: ijlal on July 13, 2018, 07:00:48 PM

I am a Penn guy, anyhow - no Daiwa star drags for me.

Just my .02!

Running with the original Daiwa factory washers is confining one to the "box" of a dated technology.

HT100's, Carbontex, Delrin, Cal's, aftermarket washers, SS gear sleeves, and handle upgrades (just like for the Penn's) will yield drags/performance that transcends the "box."

This is stated from first hand experience with enhancements done to fish the following:

• 30H and SMF170 as 40lb reels;
  • 50H as a 50lb reel;
  • 300H and 350H as 60lb reels;
  • 400H as an 80lb reel; and
  • 600H as a 100lb reel

....using the 1/3 rule, it's an additional line class UP if using 1/4 rule. No pipe or wrench tightening required.

Of course, all of the above was possible with knowledge gained from enhancing my Penn Monofil 27 to a 40lb capable reel and my Mag Power 970 to a 50lb capable reel.

The Daiwa's required significantly less $$$$ to get them to their current levels than what it would have costed with comparable Penns for a long range lineup of 8 reels (20lb, 25lb, 30lb, 40lb, 50lb, 60lb, 80lb, and 100lb).

ijlal

Quote from: Decker on July 13, 2018, 07:23:49 PM

Hi Ijlal, I'm not nearly as experienced as you, but have seen very similar comments about Daiwa drags posted here.  Luckily there is an Ultimate Upgrades (a.k.a. Bryan Young) 5-stack drag kit to fit several of the Sealine models.   Cheers,  /Joe

Hi Joe,

I found a Penn 6-114HSP drag washers set and upgraded a friend's 600H. Unfortunately, I could not get the second eared washer into the grooves, so had to settle for a 3-washer stack. To cover for the thinner Penn washers, I doubled up the carbontex washers. This is how I configured the drag stack:

Main gear, Penn HT100 drag washer x 2, Penn Keyed washer, Penn HT100 drag washer x 2, eared washer, Penn HT100 drag washer x 1, Daiwa 600H's stock keyed washer (thickest one,) and then the stock spring washers and all.

I'm getting a max drag of just above 18#, which is practically enough for now, as my friend would be using 50# topshot with a 65# braid backing. At least he has smooth drag now. Maybe, I'll get that drag set from Bryan when I can, and upgrade the reel to a 5-drag washer stack for more drag.

Cheers,
Ijlal
I live 'fishing'!

Shark Hunter

That upgrade from Bryan is the best upgrade you can do to a 600 or 900H, However, a stainless sleeve should be added with that or you will round off the gear sleeve pretty quick.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Quote from: Decker on April 17, 2018, 04:52:23 PM
Thanks, John.  Sounds like there is an SS sleeve available for that reel, always a plus.  I guess the 450H is a keeper, then, something I can use. Maybe it could be a good backup for deep dropping too.  Those Kolekar handles are the bomb!

My go-to tuna is the Starkist yellowfin with olive oil and roasted garlic ;)  Though I caught a couple yellowfin, blackfin, and longfin as a kid, I'll be expanding my horizons when I book my first overnight party boat tuna trip.  Since pride does not allow me to rent a rod, having the reel, then the rod, puts me closer to booking the trip.  Hey, i I'm going to hang with the AT guys, I'd better be ready to move up in weight class. ;)

You said, "snatching grouper out of a rock."  Do you catch grouper in the Carolinas?

Joe, just saw this. Yes, grouper is the bottom fish of choice since Reds are closed.

Decker

kipakoo

Hello friends, I just logged on for the first time. I am wondering if anyone knows the max drag on a Sealine 600H. The specs posted here omit the max drag number on the 600H. I see the 400H at 22lbs, the 900H at 33lbs. Seems like it should be about 27lbs. Anyone know for sure? Also, how tight can I go on the star without damaging the reel? I need a winch. I know it sounds extreme but it is a tug of war with large grouper that regularly break off 80-100lb line. If you give up any line, they will rock you up. The trip I'm going on had one stop where they had about 20 break offs and only landed 1 fish before moving to another spot. I ordered a long power handle and plan to fill the spool less than half full to gain some cranking power/extra drag. Thanks for your help

ez2cdave

Quote from: kipakoo on November 03, 2018, 02:35:44 AM
Hello friends, I just logged on for the first time. I am wondering if anyone knows the max drag on a Sealine 600H. The specs posted here omit the max drag number on the 600H. I see the 400H at 22lbs, the 900H at 33lbs. Seems like it should be about 27lbs. Anyone know for sure?

2 of the 3 charts I posted on page 5 of this thread indicate that 22 lbs. is the maximum drag on a "factory" 600H.

With that said, let me say that, on this forum, many things become possible . . . Take a look at this thread.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4783.0

Tight Lines !

Shark Hunter

The 600H is a fine reel, but unless you do some upgrades, you are just going to round the brass sleeve off buttoning it down.
A stainless sleeve from Cortez Conversion's and Bryan's Drag upgrade should bring it up to snuff.
Life is Good!

B0b

Scored (i think) on a vintage daiwa sealine no. 25.  so im currently in southeast asia and came across a super great condition reel with 3 levers.  but for about $15 usd, i had to have it. but i cant seem to find any data on this reel.  it seems the level wind has stopped working.   im hoping i can fix it when i return to the states and open it up. 

where would someone get parts for such reels?