Newell 533 with Tiburon Frame

Started by franky, October 29, 2014, 01:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

Okay folks,

I'm ready to give up.  I got everything installed and for some reason, the reel behaves normally when the star is loose. 

When I tighten up the star and the cast lever is engaged, the cranking of the reel kinda seams a little stiff.  Not that bad, but stiffer than normal.  :-\

Then when I put the cast lever in the cast mode, the handle suppose to freely rotate regardless if the star is tight or loose.  In this case, if the star is loose, the handle (in cast mode) rotates freely.  However, if I put the star tight and the handle is (in cast mode), the handle is stuck and if you rotate it, you can hear the gears grinding and the freespool is only 3 seconds.

I tried to adjust the tabs on the eccentric to help move the pinion further in while in cast mode, no success. 

somehow, in cast mode along with a tightened star, the reel is just not working. 

Any ideas?

I installed the Bite Fishing Club gear and pinion set.  It uses 4 carbontex washers inside the box along with a fat belleville on top.

Even when I swapped the Bite Fishing Club set and put back the original newell set, I still get the same outcome.

Bryan Young

It sound like you may have a bad yoke if I was just guessing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

could the star be tightening up against the side plate?  you might need a very skinny washer between the star and the brass sleeve, or two!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

eguinn

Take the handle nut off & look to see if the gear sleeve is held on by a screw or a eclip or circlip, sometimes you have to put 2 of the eclips in top of the gear sleeve if you have a lot of slop pulling in & out. You may also have to put a extra washer under the red plastic washer that the handle nut goes down against. It sounds like maybe your handle nut is rubbing against the gear sleeve. Also check & make sure you spool is still centered between the frame rings, this sometimes changes when you put a aftermarket frame in the reel, if it's not then you will have to change the colored split washer the goes on the right side nearing cup, different colors are different thickness, make sure to back off your left side bearing cup & then readjust as you need to. A quick & easy check to see if this is your problem is to back off the right side bearing a 1/4 turn or so & see if you still have the same problem, if you do then you have to change that split washer to get things right. also make sure you drag washers are sitting down in the gear properly & you don't have a eared washer sitting up out of it's slot on top of the gear, lastly take your old main gear & stock drag washer stack & measure it, now measure your new main gear & drag stack, see if they are the same, if your new stack is taller it might be hitting the inside of the side plate when you tighten down the star. Also check the length of your new pinion gear, check the depth of the slot in it, if it's different that might be part of you problem. I know I pointed out a lot of different things but you just need to go thru & eliminate the possible problems. Good luck

Tunacious

Good info here. The ss washer that goes underneath the red/white plastic handle washer sits perfectly on top of a ledge that's built into the bridge sleeve. Also, ensure you have a ss washer or two on top of the drag stack...don't install the thin belvilles since they'll crack. You don't want the star rubbing against the sideplate. Good luck!

franky

Thank you everyone for the ideas.

Although ready to give up, I just can't seem to put the reel down.  After several attempts yesterday, I finally put it down and went to sleep.  I got up this morning at 2:15 am and went at it again.  I took everything a part again and adjusted the eccentric jack and the color shim on the right side bearing.  At first, things got worst.  Then I thought getting worst can be a good thing...at least I'm moving in a direction... :-\ Now I simply got to go the other way.  Then, at 5:30 this morning after several attempts, I got it.  Now, the reel gets excellent free spool and the grinding of the handle is not there anymore.  I did have to go back to the original newell gear and pinion.  The Bite Fishing club pinion for some reason still felt a little rough.  After sanding down the pinion a little, I think I have to just smoothen it out a little more.  Anyway, with the stock newell gear in there, the reel works very well.

By the way, is there somewhere that I could get some of those colored split ringed shims from?  I did not see them on Ebay.

Thanks again folks,

Frank  :)

bluefish69

The Rings are hare to find. When I get a broken one I replace it with an 'O' Ring. Just put a small amount of grease on the "O" Ring.

BTW---What color ring do you have??

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

Quote from: franky on October 29, 2014, 06:41:10 PMBy the way, is there somewhere that I could get some of those colored split ringed shims from?  I did not see them on Ebay.

Aloha Frank,

I'm not sure about what you are referring to.  Is it that plastic thingy that is on the outside of the bearing cups?  I think Newell used the different colors to differentiate which bearing cup was for the drive side and which was for the non-drive side of the reel as they are different.  They do help in keeping the bearing cup in place, and I have changed a few over the years to O-rings to help the bearing cup from not backing out.

If that is not what you are referring to, then please help me to understand what you are referring to.  

Mahalo,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

eguinn

What I did was I sent the seller on Ebay a question asking him what he could do price$$ wise on 5 different right side bearing cups, you want to look at the Pic of the bearing cup, you will see them on the bearing cup. I picked different cups that had different colored split ringed shims on them. He gave me a pretty fair price$$ so I grabbed them, remember you want the right side bearing cups not the left side cups, the left side bearing cups use a rubber o'ring on them, also if you look closely at the cups side by side you will see that usually the right side cup has a square edge where it was machined, the left side cups usually have a very small radius cut in them so they don't tear the o'ring. I also got some extra bearings & bearing shims when I did it this way. If you can't find what you are looking for shoot me a PM & I can hook you up with a guy I know who has a pretty good stock of parts. He doesn't advertise what all he has because parts are getting pretty hard to find, I've known this guy for 4 years now & he's helped me a lot, he also builds Narrow 533's in 2 different widths. He was a good friend of Carl Newell & did work for & also Carl out on solving some of the various problems that Newell reels had. Also I'd sent to gears back where you bought them & get my $$ back, I looked at those & the quality didn't look great so I passed.

eguinn

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 29, 2014, 06:54:56 PM
Quote from: franky on October 29, 2014, 06:41:10 PMBy the way, is there somewhere that I could get some of those colored split ringed shims from?  I did not see them on Ebay.

Aloha Frank,

I'm not sure about what you are referring to.  Is it that plastic thingy that is on the outside of the bearing cups?  I think Newell used the different colors to differentiate which bearing cup was for the drive side and which was for the non-drive side of the reel as they are different.  They do help in keeping the bearing cup in place, and I have changed a few over the years to O-rings to help the bearing cup from not backing out.

If that is not what you are referring to, then please help me to understand what you are referring to.  

Mahalo,
Bryan

Not trying to be a smart #### but those go where the o'ring would go, like I said in my post different colors where different thickness, those are used to move the whole right side bearing cup in or out by using different thickness split rings. When you put the reel together the right side bearing cup should be screwed down tight, you can use a rubber o'ring in place of that split ring but usually if you get the right shim under the bearing ( there where .010,.015, & .020 thick shims used), the right split ring etc things will work fine. That being said you can move that right side bearing in or out as much as a 1/16" by using the different size shims & split rings. The rubber o'ring was/is used on the left side bearing cup. Like I said reread my posts & you will see what I'm talking about, I ain't no expert but these are things I've learned from my Newell Guru who used to work with Carl & also has built about 50 to 75 of these Narrow 533's, he really knows his ####. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking anybody on here but I've tried to learn from the best in the business.

eguinn

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 29, 2014, 06:53:00 PM
The Rings are hare to find. When I get a broken one I replace it with an 'O' Ring. Just put a small amount of grease on the "O" Ring.

Mike
I try to keep 2each of the White,Black,Red,Orange, & Green in my little stock of parts. I'm not trying to be a smart ####, just trying to help others out from what I've learned.  If you read my posts I've tried to explain what I've learned from my Newell reel Guru.

franky

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 29, 2014, 06:53:00 PM

Mike

The one that I just worked on has a white colored one.  Usually I see the White, Black, Red, and orange ones being used.

Thanks eguinn  :)

Yes Brian, The right side bearing cup has the colored plastic shims that wrap around the right side bearing cup.  The colored plastic shims are hard plastic and is meant to keep the bearing cup secure once the bearing cap is tightened down.  

I do use the o ring, but only for the left side bearing cup.  The o ring does help to snug the cup from coming loose, but it can not be tightened down hard like the plastic colored shim.  Sometimes, a spool can be shimmed using the tephlon or thin metal shim under the bearing inside the cup.  However, sometimes, you just need to move the entire cup outward/inward in order to get the right spacing needed.  

Thanks again everyone.  :)

Bryan Young

Quote from: eguinn on October 29, 2014, 07:37:48 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on October 29, 2014, 06:54:56 PM
Quote from: franky on October 29, 2014, 06:41:10 PMBy the way, is there somewhere that I could get some of those colored split ringed shims from?  I did not see them on Ebay.

Aloha Frank,

Mahalo,
Bryan

Not trying to be a smart #### but those go where the o'ring would go, like I said in my post different colors where different thickness, those are used to move the whole right side bearing cup in or out by using different thickness split rings. When you put the reel together the right side bearing cup should be screwed down tight, you can use a rubber o'ring in place of that split ring but usually if you get the right shim under the bearing ( there where .010,.015, & .020 thick shims used), the right split ring etc things will work fine. That being said you can move that right side bearing in or out as much as a 1/16" by using the different size shims & split rings. The rubber o'ring was/is used on the left side bearing cup. Like I said reread my posts & you will see what I'm talking about, I ain't no expert but these are things I've learned from my Newell Guru who used to work with Carl & also has built about 50 to 75 of these Narrow 533's, he really knows his ####. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking anybody on here but I've tried to learn from the best in the business.
Smarty pants. 

I just tweek with what I've got.  You've gotta do what you gotta do.

eguinn

I know what you mean as I've done that before. Anymore I try to keep everything as original as possible so that in the future if I want to sell the reel they seem to sell easier. It seems like people don't want to buy a Frankenstein reel & I can't blame them. I had a few that where like what in the hell did this clown do to this thing? Some of them didn't work worth a damn & had to be rebuilt so that they worked properly. Like I said I'm not knockin anybody on here, it's just how I learned to do things.

Tunacious

Franky:

I know the rings you're talking about. I've got 5 or 6 colors I think. Where do you live? PM me the info and we can go from there.

Eguinn:

I know who you're talking about. He and I used to trade parts all the time. I learned a lot from him way back when, including lots of great Carl stories. I need to see him again for a couple things. I was also fortunate to speak with Carl a few times when I went over there to get some parts. He also gave me a couple tours.

I've sold/traded a lot of parts but still have some inventory.