Newell 533-5.5

Started by GotMojo, October 30, 2014, 10:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GotMojo

Can I put 4.6 gears in this reel?  Mine has a clip ring instead of the screw top shown in pic.  Can I change that too?

Newell Nut

They are interchangeable. The same gear sleeve fits either on one with a screw or a C-clip.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Newell Nut on October 30, 2014, 10:40:09 PM
They are interchangeable. The same gear sleeve fits either on one with a screw or a C-clip.
Are the Yokes are different to accommodate the different pinion gear?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

The yoke only changes when you get to the 3.2 in the 500 series.

Bryan Young

Ooh.  See when a YOUNG gets OLD.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

GotMojo

Anyone know where I can get the gears and the part that takes the screw instead of the c-clip?

bluefish69

Why do you want this. You can turn the C clip out of the way to remove the handle & washers. With the screw what happens sometimes is you have to remove the screw & the entire Bridge Sleeve, Drag Stack & Main Gear come straight out in your hand. The Dog could get lost or Pinion Gear falls out.

Your Choice

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

Quote from: GotMojo on October 31, 2014, 03:18:17 AM
Anyone know where I can get the gears and the part that takes the screw instead of the c-clip?
They both work equally as well. I just checked ebay and the only ones available are the 300 series. The 500s have been bought already.
I have converted one for a friend here. What you do is cut the top part of the stem off where the C-clip goes and then drill and tap the stem for a screw. Works great. The reason that I did this is the his reel which was used commercially for 30 years is the only broken one that I have ever seen. The stem snapped in the thin area where the C-clip goes. If you don't plan on using the reel commercially for 30 years don't worry with it but it can be converted if you just have to in order to be happy. The downside is if you screw up the process the reel is lost.

GotMojo

I'll leave the C-clip as it is, but I'd like to get the lower gears.  Are they available?

Bryan Young

I haven't seen replacement 4.6:1 gear sets in years.  I do have 3.2:1 if you are interested, but you may need to modify your yoke per Newell Nut.