Custom spacer sleeve

Started by Alto Mare, November 02, 2014, 02:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Some are still asking about the custom spacer sleeve, these should fit all Penn reels from the 9 to the 113. I recommend them to all, 3 to 4 dollars is a small price to pay.
I did ask Alan Chui if he could offer us additional sizes in length and I believe he's working on them.
At the moment I'm grinding mine to size, I like my drags to start very soft on all my reels.

I also like to use the 10-49 star with these

No racking back and forth with the handle anymore, the only movement you'll feel is from the gear sleeve moving on the gear post and that's very little.
Go for it they will help keeping  your gears happy.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Thanks for this, Sal --

If Alan could do an assortment of the most popular lengths -- I would probably buy around 50 just for stock.

Hard for me to take the time to grind something down when fitting a reel for a client.  Best to just pull one out of a bin -- and if not quite right, try another.  And that way everything stays constant with no waste.

Great upgrade.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bluefish69

I have to grind one for my 99. With the Derlin Washer & the Spring Washer on top only gives me about 1/8 of a turn on the Star. I do have Drag though.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

Quote from: bluefish69 on November 02, 2014, 04:31:47 PM
I have to grind one for my 99. With the Derlin Washer & the Spring Washer on top only gives me about 1/8 of a turn on the Star. I do have Drag though.

Mike
Mike, that doesn't sound good.
On that gorgeous Monofil 25 that I'm showing above, I could move each point on that star 8 times .
I know you've mentioned that you like to use the heavy Belleville, try the stock Penn spring washer and let me know how you like it, compared to what you have now.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

trond_solem

I tried to order two custom sleves to use in my 49 reel and in my 112h reel, but there is no option for selecting country. Since I live on the other side of the big pond, I expect to pay shipping, but I can't enter any address in Norway.

bluefish69

Sal

I only use bevels on Newell's. No Bevel washer in the 99. The 99 has a 3 Stack with Brass Washers that were ground flat - Delrin Washer - 8-60 Spring Washer. There is a SS Bridge Sleeve & Delrin below the gear.

I almost got confused between the Newell & Penn because they are both Black.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Black Pearl

Quote from: trond_solem on November 02, 2014, 08:04:35 PM
I tried to order two custom sleves to use in my 49 reel and in my 112h reel, but there is no option for selecting country. Since I live on the other side of the big pond, I expect to pay shipping, but I can't enter any address in Norway.

Please send me a PM with your order, and I will check the shipping cost for you. My website does not allow outside US purchases.

Thanks,
--Alan

trond_solem

PM sent.
I think this sleeve will reduce the problems with the gear post coming loose on small reels. Replacing the stock gear sleeve with an SS one and usiing this custom sleeve will strengthen up the 49 and 112h reels a bit. I don't expect to winch in sharks with my 49 reel, but pumping in 80lb halibut may be ok if I don't set the drag to hard.
BTW, they caught several200+lb halibuts here this summer.  :)
You cannot choose how big it's going to be. If it hits, it hits. I may be 10 lb or 220 lb.

Got 36lb cod a few weeks ago. That was the end of that el-cheapo plastic reel. Penn reels now. No more el-cheapo plastic reels.

mike1010

Does anybody else experience more gear noise transmitted to the handle when using this spacer sleeve?

Alto Mare

the spacer should actually keep them quieter, I have not noticed it on mine. Now if you're talking about stainless steel gears, absolutely, but those will get quieter as you use the reel...small price to pay.

mike1010

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 31, 2015, 09:46:54 PM
the spacer should actually keep them quieter, I have not noticed it on mine. Now if you're talking about stainless steel gears, absolutely, but those will get quieter as you use the reel...small price to pay.

Sal, I think you agree that the potential is there to make noisy gears more noticeable because of the lack of slop between the gears and the handle.  My Jigmaster has gears that with the stock spacer are kind of noisy, but with the custom spacer are downright bumpy.  It seems like I'm looking for a gear set, which I had hoped to avoid until Alan C. comes through with the new stainless 4:1 stuff.

Alto Mare

No not at all Mike, gears that stay in place ( aligned) are less noisy than the ones that move around. Don't go by just turning the handle, put that reel under stress and try turning the handle. Put a scale on the line and try to reel in somethging that would take 15lb of force, compare the two sleeves and let me know how you make out. If you go 6-7lb higher, the gears with the stock sleeve will really get loud, I bet with the custom sleeve, they probably won't.

mike1010

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 01, 2015, 07:30:48 PM
No not at all Mike, gears that stay in place ( aligned) are less noisy than the ones that move around. Don't go by just turning the handle, put that reel under stress and try turning the handle. Put a scale on the line and try to reel in somethging that would take 15lb of force, compare the two sleeves and let me know how you make out. If you go 6-7lb higher, the gears with the stock sleeve will really get loud, I bet with the custom sleeve, they probably won't.

I reeled a toolbox across the cellar floor.  Yeah, presenting a load to the reel definitely changes the noise equation.  Thanks.  Not to be a sore-loser, but I do like reels that are quiet when we just spin the handle, too.  But the custom sleeve is obviously the right trade off.

Alto Mare

Mike, I won't invite you on my boat then, all of my reels have that sweet clicking sound, just the way I like it. ;D What is it with you guys  wanting fishing with quietness, you should go fishing for books at the library ::) ;D.