Sorting Through Old Reels

Started by foakes, November 03, 2014, 06:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Solid Work Fred! ;) Those are some good looking LB's. You can stop when you hit 27 ole buddy! ;D
Life is Good!

broadway

Fred,
   Don't forget to come up for air once in a while.  The LB's are looking great and probably performing even better.
Keep up the good work,
Dom

foakes

OK, Everyone --

All guesses are now closed --

All that remains is for the reels to get done.  Should take a few weeks in between other Life responsibilities.

Here are the players:

Tightlines666                45
Wallacewt                     35.5
Dabigono                      35.6
Aiala                             43
Crackerman                  29
Sal                               31
Daron                           27
Dom                             26
Bmitch                          51
Tomt                            26
Bryan                           29
Fsrmn                          25
Max doubt - Ted            42
Reel doc                       39
Fishhead69                   33
Rowdyw                       37
Harry                           32
Ebraker                        30.5
Tim                              17
The swimmer                27.597
Angling architect           37
Doug                           41
Zimbass                       42
Bluefish69 - Mike          34
Dominick                      37

Good Luck to All,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Looks like if the final number of completed reels ends up being 38 there are going to be a lot of winners here :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

foakes

These are done and completed.

Hoping to squeeze out another 15 or 20.

One at a time.

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Very nice Fred, looks like you did that a few times before ;D, I bet all work flawlessly. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Holy Cow! Fred! :o
I guess my 29 guess is going to be way off. You are making way more than I suspected.
I am collecting these LB's. I have a 60,66,and 68 so far.
You go Buddy! I am in Awe! :P
Life is Good!

broadway

Fred,
   You're a Reel-asaurus Rex! Well, 26 came and went... keep going bro!
This would be a great topic to put under, "You know you're a reel-head when...."
Come up for air and stretch once in a while... you're gonna stiffen up sitting at that work bench for so long.
Dom

BMITCH

51 is lookin pretty good fellas. ::)

BMITCH

Btw Fred, absolutely amazing work. I know I get bored of working on them after 2 or 3 reels. Your like a machine :o when you sit down to work on them...do you tear down two or three and clean the parts. Then reassemble? Or is it one at a time?? And if it's more than one at a time is all the same models? Just wondering.
Bob

foakes

Hi Bob --

Since time only allows me to work on these maybe one afternoon a week at this point -- I try to combine operations to be more efficient.

As an example, a reel can be completely disassembled, cleaned with the ultrasonic cleaner in purple degreaser & Simple Green, mineral spirits if needed separately, fresh water rinsed, dried, polished, any parts needed ready for replacement -- then kept on one tray.  This process takes about 15 minutes total.  

Generally takes another 20 minutes to install greased drags, reset spacer length by grinding a little off for more drag control, reassembling with Yamaha MG & synthetic oil, adjusting, testing drag, clicker, free-spool, all functions.

For me it is important to keep everything separate -- never mixing up more than one reel together.

However, many times I will strip 10 reels at a time -- keep them separated -- then do an assembly line cleaning operation prior to reassembly.

Many ways to approach the job -- just best to find out your comfort level -- and do it the same every time.

At the end of the day, each reel is special -- and needs to stand on its own -- and to function perfectly.

Probably won't get much of a chance to work on the next batch for about a week.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

fishhead69

Great job. Nice work. I definitely really like Penn reels the best. They are like old Chevys, durable, easy to get parts for and the parts are interchangeable and easy to work on.

foakes

Holidays are over -- back to the reel contest...

Someone has to win that Custom Penn 285 Delmar --

Got 27 fully completed in the bin --

15 more are all do-able --

Plus whatever I can squeeze out of these parts bags & pieces -- hopefully another 10-15?

Plus going to work on completely restoring this tough old DAM Quick Super for a friend on this site.  It will get any new parts needed, new drags will be greased, set up for Heavy Salt & Surf.  These are very tough old war horses -- comparable to the Penn 704s, 700s, Mitchell 302s -- worm-drive, solid, simple -- metal spool, double reinforced bail.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Bob,
I hope you win Buddy! I think you are deserving. Fred is a reel building Machine!
That Super sure looks Nice! You Go Fred! ;D
After looking at the numbers, I think you are a ringer Bob! ;)
Life is Good!