Sorting Through Old Reels

Started by foakes, November 03, 2014, 06:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

What an impressive display of reels. It's unfortunate your not in our area. I think this display of hardware would move pretty good.
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Better Luck Next Time Fred. I'm sure a lot of us here would have loved to step up to that table! ;)
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Nice spread Fred.  What are the two greenies? 710?

foakes

710 & a 700 with the chrome under the rotating head.

Completely disassembled, serviced, and any parts needed replaced with new.

Set up for the salt.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

coastal_dan

Looks like you had some excellent reels for sale.  Like you said, it could have been worse.  Congrats on your new purchases too.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

foakes

As most of you know -- Bob -- BMitch, won the "Guess the Number of Penn Reels made out of Old Parts Contest".

As the winner, he will receive this Custom DelMar.

The Plinth was graciously made and donated by Daron.

Bob claims he is going to display it prominently in the entry to his home (Bob, you do not have to).

And he will also receive a nice old Penn 60 that I completely went through.

Thanks for being a good sport, Bob!

Best,

Fred

Here are the completed 55 reels, not counting the "60" going to Bob.

Here are the parts left over, cleaned and ready to put into categories for future use.

Here is the custom DelMar (one on the left).

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

I love it :)

That plith reely sets that real off.

I myself have an old beat up Delmar (w/o a plithe) prominantly displayed at my office.  It's surprising how much interest an old beat up real will drum up.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

BMITCH

Fred,Daron and all here who contributed to this fun/educational experience. Thanks so much!! Fred you are a true gentlemen. You make the reel work look easy. Daron, I love the idea of having a plinth that you fashioned. This gift is appreciated more than you folks know. YES! It will be displayed prominently in the front foyer in my home. This way when anyone comes to visit they will know that are in the presence of "reel madness". You guys are the best!! I hope to one day return the kindness. With deepest gratitude. To all involved!!

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

foakes

Actually, Bob is the true gentleman.

Can you believe he attempted to turn down this wonderful prized reel -- coming up with some lame excuse that it would be more fair going to someone else?

We would not let him off the hook that easily.

A deal is a deal.  A reel is a reel.

Thanks to everyone who enjoyed this little fun project.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

reelrepair123

yes fred,   bob  is a true gentleman, but you know what,  all the members I have talked or dealt with are true gentleman  also, women included , not to be left out,  this site is by far the best site there is, one big family,

Shark Hunter

My Pleasure Bob. I can't think of a guy more deserving. A Humble award for a Humble guy. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: BMITCH on May 22, 2015, 08:55:15 AM
Fred,Daron and all here who contributed to this fun/educational experience. Thanks so much!! Fred you are a true gentlemen. You make the reel work look easy. Daron, I love the idea of having a plinth that you fashioned. This gift is appreciated more than you folks know. YES! It will be displayed prominently in the front foyer in my home. This way when anyone comes to visit they will know that are in the presence of "reel madness". You guys are the best!! I hope to one day return the kindness. With deepest gratitude. To all involved!!

Bob
Bob, I can't think of a better guy to have this amazing gift, I would be proud to display it in my home as well, congratulations.

Fred, you're an asset to this site, it has been great having you here.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Fred, I can't wait to see the next bin of parts turned to reels.
Congrats on the trophy, Bob!
Good stuff, crew.  Makes me proud to be a part of this site. ;)
Enjoy the weekend,
Dom

foakes

Finally, after all of the finding, going through boxes, cleaning, organizing, and trying to get all of the Penn stuff organized -- here is the result so far -- after working yesterday afternoon to finish sorting and stowing everything in an accessible order that makes sense, at least to me.

About 2/3 new -- 1/3 cleaned and recycled.

For now, this project is completed -- and I am sorry to bore you with all of this -- but just wanted to share the last bit...

Best,

Fred

New Penn small parts in key# order

Close up

Cleaning supplies and smaller line winder

About 300 rings

Penn screws

Penn posts

Jacks & yokes

Pinions

Assorted small parts

Newell parts

Mains, etc.

Attachment hardware

Drags

More drags

Assorted parts

ABU

Penn Spinners

More Penn spinners

Upper part of bench

Side of Bench

Tool drawers and HD line winder

More drawers

Mitchell spools and parts

More Mitchell spools

More Mitchell parts

DAM Quick Spools

The completed old Penns and a few others

Penn spools

Ultrasonic Cleaner Station

About 50,000 small Quick parts by number

Some line

Stars, bridges, sleeves, etc.

Conventional Penn on left -- Penn spinning on right

Handles & Stands

Plates

Viewer

Grandpa's old rocking chair from the 50s -- to relax in

--------

Fred O.

Rivverrat

Fred! After looking at this thread only 2 words come to mind ........HOLY CRAP!