The List!

Started by alantani, November 06, 2014, 01:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Welcome, Joey --

Looking forward to meeting you sometime.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

welcome, ben!  now let's just hope that we can both get the time off!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

ken ....

... and randy are back

Bill Karr

I'd like to introduce myself and say how much I'm looking forward to this trip. I haven't done this type of fishing since growing up in SoCal and some in San Diego-courtesy of the Navy. Learned to fish on the Huntington Beach Pier and Redondo Barge. I do think I should try to be part of the Vintage Challenge. I'm vintage, none of my reels are made anymore, and I'm a lot more comfortable with mono than braid!
Looking forward to meeting all of you and trading fish stories !
Bill
Bill

Aiala

Hello, Bill!

I too am definitely vintage, prefer classic reels, and have never even tried braid (but probably will at some point... probably.) I think we'll all get along splendidly and have a terrific time on the trip.

Can't wait... only 3+ more months!   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

alantani

bill is a refugee from the august trip!  glad you could make the switch.  aiala, got your check so you are all paid up, thanks!  we have one more spot to fill, and two more for standby.  we actually did run with 26 last year and i think it worked out well, plus everyone got $100 back and some goodies!

Wally15

Quote from: alantani on February 25, 2015, 11:35:48 PM
we have one more spot to fill, and two more for standby.  we actually did run with 26 last year and i think it worked out well, plus everyone got $100 back and some goodies!
So the "standbys" DO get to go on the trip. I've been drooling over that 24th and last spot since the Aug trip was canx. Waiting on my taxes to be finished to see if I have any discretionary $ left over. Did some consulting work last year and did not do a good job of tax planning. Ugh! Should have the sad news by next week.
It's a $700+ plane ticket from GA to SD, so I didn't want to chance the standby route. I assume it's the same routine as we discussed for the August trip, arrive a day early (14th), stay at the Vagabond, dinner and tequila (dinner optional) with the gang, afternoon flight out on the day we get back. Bring ratty or disposable clothing. Designer trash bags in case of rain.
I can either rent tackle or use loaners. Don't think I want to fool with flying fillets cross-country, so you guys and gals can have mine.
Oh, the 15th is my 66th birthday. I'll expect a cake and some dancing girls. Aiala, you might have to volunteer  :)
I have no idea what a "typical inshore trip" is, but I assume it involves catching fish.
Any other details can be worked out once Alan gets my check in hand.
Wally
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Porthos

Quote from: Wally15 on February 26, 2015, 01:55:53 PM...I can either rent tackle or use loaners....

There are setups from last year's trip that I was going to leave at home this year...if you do sign up, they can be brought along too, as well as some other setups.

I'm in San Diego County so bringing along a total of 15-20 setups  ::)  is not an issue.   :)

Bryan Young

Wally15,

Alan will have his spread of rods and reels...which usually consists of 3-5 of each combination.  I think you need not worry about rods, reels, or tackle for that matter.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Wally15

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 26, 2015, 04:45:09 PM
Wally15,

Alan will have his spread of rods and reels...which usually consists of 3-5 of each combination.  I think you need not worry about rods, reels, or tackle for that matter.

Bryan
I heard he has a bad habit of leaving them behind  :) And now he's even older. I don't want to end up with a snoopy pole and 4 lb line.
I'm sure there will be plenty of tackle available. In fact, I want to try out as many combos as possible so I can upgrade my GoM equipment back home. I'm even less knowledgeable about rods than I am reels.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

alantani

wally, whatever you bring with you from georgia, plan on leaving in california, unless you can take it carryon.  as far as fish go, just get a ice chest at the local sporting goods store and we can talk to sarah at 5-star about flash freezing your fish for the ride home.  except for a maybe reel, don't bring any tackle at all.  this will work out well, because unfortunately tim can't make it  :'(, which means you get the number 2 slot and you are now eddie's new drinking buddy! 

Wally15

Quote from: alantani on February 26, 2015, 06:18:47 PM
which means you get the number 2 slot and you are now eddie's new drinking buddy! 
I'm not sure I can "run with the big dogs" anymore, but I'll bring a large bottle of Zantac 150 and see what happens. I just put the check in the mail, just reserved a room at the Vagabond (almost screwed up and made the reservation at Vagabond Bayfront in SF), and reserved a parking slot at the ATL airport for a week. Only thing left is get a plane ticket and twiddle my thumbs for the next 15 weeks. And be VERY nice to the wife.
Wally
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Porthos

Quote from: alantani on February 26, 2015, 06:18:47 PM...because unfortunately tim can't make it  :'(, which means you get the number 2 slot and you are now eddie's new drinking buddy! 

AAAAWWWW MAN!

Hope he's OK.

Guess I'll have to play the role of "That guy" for the trip...

sundaytrucka

So is it a definite that you guys will run with 26 people?

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

alantani

i would like to, yes.  with 26, we all get $100 back, the deckhands get a better tip, the difference will hardly be noticeable and a guy can still get a complete refund if something disasterous happens last minute.