Trip to the edge- part II

Started by BMITCH, November 10, 2014, 11:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Well we were able to have the tuna gods smile on us this past weekend. The weather layer down and the boat had two spots left for me and my buddy Scott.

That's me on the right and Scott on the left 

We left dock at 5:00 PM and were in the canyons by 11:30. Again the same routine, jig until the boat comes tight on the anchor then bait fish. No fish for the first three hours. It was looking pretty grim. I was double thinking my choice on being in the canyons in November with the cold weather we had recently. Thought maybe those fish moved on.
  At about 2:30 guy next to me on the rail gets what he thinks is a tangle. As the mate is seeing to his problem his line come tight and " fish on". This is the guy with the rental rod and is doing EVERYTHING wrong. From how to bait his hook to keeping an eye on where his line is going. Go figure. I'm starting to think it gonna be "one of those trips"
  Then another fish on bait up the port side....come on fish....well Scott's rod goes off. He's using the double dogged 6/0 with all the bling. 10 min later a nice FAT long fin. Must have been real close to 60#. Nice fish! 10 min later Scott again is into another fish and again a twin for the first one. Needless to say my anxiety is starting to build...come on fish! 15 mins later Scott again, another one on, so this time he hands the rod off to me. Again another chunky long fin. Well this goes on for another hour or so, Scott hooking fish after fish. Something about his spot on the rail,the line,the weight on the line....I dunno. Alls I know is when he would hookup I would jump right in his spot and fish almost the exact same set up with no love. When he landed his fish I would give him that spot back and he would hook. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
  I finally hooked a couple and landed three. Scott handed two off to me in the beginning of the night and landed six of his own. All together we had 11 fish between us and the boat had a total of 31. Not a bad day out at the edge. Lots of fun and can't wait to do it again next year.

This guy came by to visit.
luck is the residue of design.

DaBigOno

Nice fish Bob!

Sometimes it works out like that where 10% of the fishermen are catching 90% of the fish.

Atleast the HOT STICK was your partner, and you got to glean off of him until you got your own share.

Maybe it was because it was that 6/0 you put all that love into, whatever the case, atleast you got out on the water and got to put some meat on the boat.

Thanks for the report!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

harryk3616

reel nice bob. i'm glad you got into fish, a whole nother world out there. ocean looked pretty calm. lots of fun, those long fins put up a good fight,nice

BMITCH

Thanks guys. This time of year you just don't know what you'll catch, if anything. When the capt. Said the water was only 63.3* I didn't think it would be very good. Ya never know ??? Funny thing was all the YFT's were smaller than the long fins. These allies were of the XL variety. A lot of fun to catch!

bluefish69

Bob

Next year there will be a New & Faster Voyager. The last time on the Doris Mae they were cursing  at 23 Kts.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

Nice Bob, you tuna looks different than ours.  The face looks kinda like an eyeless shark. :D

Sometimes, people just have a hot stick...reminds me of Roger.  Same baits, same rigging, same everything except angler and he hooks up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Looks like your having some fun this year buddy, good for you ;) and thanks for sharing....very nice.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Sal, your always welcome! These boats are only an hour from where your at. Give it some thought for next year ;D

BMITCH

Bryan , I didn't know they were gonna collar these fish I would have gotten some pics beforehand. I'm really superstitious and until this year wouldn't even think of bringing a camera. Thought it brought bad mojo. Obviously I'm past that.
Mike, I had a chance to to talk with capt Jeff and John. They are pretty excited about the new boat. I am too, can't stand the bunk situation on this current boat. Hope the new one has a better layout. I'm totally into being comfortable when going offshore. Getting too old for the iron man stuff. ::)

bluefish69

When I was on the Doris Mae all the bunks were above deck. Something like an erector set with 4" foam mattresses

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

Good Job Bob!
Way to catchem! buddy! Go Penn! ;D
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Bucktail

Great trip Bob!  Congratulations!
Just a jig-a-lo

BMITCH

Funny thing is... The Jamaica was anchored about 1/2 - a mile away and I heard they had somewhere around 80 fish. Go figure ???