Newell 641 conversion

Started by franky, November 18, 2014, 09:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

Hello gang,

Just checking....

This person has a newell 641 3.0 (low gear ratio).

He wants to convert it to the 4.2 (high gear ratio).

I told him that he needs both the pinion and the gear.

Question to confirm:  I think the spool shaft for both the low and high gear ratio reels are the same diameter and therefore will use the same bearing.  Am I correct?

alantani

they should all be the same, yes. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I was talking with someone from Kauai and he indicated that the spool shaft has different diameters.  Unfortunately, I am unable to confirm this construction.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

franky

Thanks for the swift responses.

Yes Brian,

Usually the 4.6 gear ratio in the 400 and 500 series reels will take a bearing that is smaller in diameter.

However, if you have a 400 and 500 series 3.0 low gear ratio, the spool shaft is fatter in diameter and will take the same bearing at the 600 series reels.

I just needed to confirm that the 600 series reels, both low gear and high gear ratios are the same size bearing....Thanks Alan for confirming.  :)

alantani

crud.  the 600 series spool shafts should all be the same.  i'm hoping this is correct.  quite a while back a guy sent me a 600 series newell with a faster gear set and just wanted them switched out.  it was quick and easy,  old ones cam out, new ones went in without trouble. please let us know if you find something different.  that's what i remember about the 600's.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tunacious

Yes...all the 600 series use the same bearings.

600's and 540-3.2:          ID = .125       OD = .375         W = .187
                                      .125 x .375 x .187

Bryan Young

Quote from: Tunacious on November 18, 2014, 11:19:14 PM
Yes...all the 600 series use the same bearings.

600's and 540-3.2:          ID = .125       OD = .375         W = .187
                                      .125 x .375 x .187

Bearings seem to be the same size.

Do you happen to have the shaft diameter where the pinion gear slides?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

There is no problem switching the gears on a 600 as long as you have the matching pinion since the teeth are a little different. No other issues at all.