Safety first

Started by theswimmer, November 14, 2014, 12:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

I hate to be Debbie Downer  but I was fishing in this same area at the same time.
We have had 4 people that I know of meet an early demise this year.
http://m.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Airman-s-body-found-off-Monterey-coast-after-5889477.php

Be safe folks......
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

alantani

we were originally planning to go to point sur for fishing last friday, but the winds were supposed to hit 20 knots.  it can be dangerous out there!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

theswimmer

Alan we fish in some cliff areas between Pebble and Big Sur where we have to rappel down and there is virtually nowhere to go if a big swell is running.
When I was a little younger and my brother was still alive we did some stuff together that I just shudder at the thought of now.
I am lucky in that Miss Mari and I have rock climbed together now for almost 20 years and she will go with me almost anywhere often with her in the lead.
We trust each other and our judgment and when she says ,
"I don't think this is a good idea." I listen.
No fish however is worth a life and when the waves are hitting where you will be standing on every 4th or 5th  set it is time to find a different spot!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

David Hall

That area has recently become one of my favourite spots, but like Alan said, you have to pick your days wisely when venturing south of The point.  A bit of wind and a calm day can become treacherous in minutes.
I started heading that way yesterday at 0600 we cleared the Harbor heading south west with an old friend onboard to do some rockfishing.  Forecast predicted high winds but I was being cautiously optimistic that the early morning calm would hold for a few hours, as we approached Monterey it became obvious to me that continuing south would be "pushing it", I would be guaranteed a hold filled with fish if we made it down and the conditions didn't worsen but I would be risking everything to do so, I quickly decided to turn in and fish the shallows back towards Moss in hopes of a halibut strike, 90 minutes later the high wind predictions came in and confirmed I had made the right decision.  No fish, but a safe trip and we had only a short troll back in choppy seas.  Had I continued I would have found myself 10-15 miles south of Carmel bay in open sea exposed directly to the wind and pinned against the rocky cliffs.  All the ingredients for the appearance of disaster.
Safety of passengers first and foremost in my mind always, every time out, no matter what.

BrettEllis

Quote from: theswimmer on November 14, 2014, 09:27:48 PM
Alan we fish in some cliff areas between Pebble and Big Sur where we have to rappel down and there is virtually nowhere to go if a big swell is running.
When I was a little younger and my brother was still alive we did some stuff together that I just shudder at the thought of now.
I am lucky in that Miss Mari and I have rock climbed together now for almost 20 years and she will go with me almost anywhere often with her in the lead.
We trust each other and our judgment and when she says ,
"I don't think this is a good idea." I listen.
No fish however is worth a life and when the waves are hitting where you will be standing on every 4th or 5th  set it is best tool backpack a different spot!
What about now?