Pflueger Capital No. 1988

Started by Reel 224, November 15, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

I have this reel and have been trying to find out what the function of the right side,crank side retractable pin is in conjunction with the Bakelite front plate. There are marks on the plate as well as the reel body indicating that the Bakelite plate can be rotated about 1/4". The reel is a 1950s Pflueger Capital No. 1988 Here are some pictures. I could also use some information on dissembling the front side so as to free up the Bakelite plate so it will rotate...if that is what it is supposed to do.

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

Unscrew the pin, pull the pin out and hold while rotating the sideplate to take the sideplate off like the jigmaster.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Reel 224

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 15, 2014, 02:42:27 AM
Unscrew the pin, pull the pin out and hold while rotating the sideplate to take the sideplate off like the jigmaster.

Bryan: I am able to pull the pin without unscrewing it,but the plate will not rotate.

Would you have any suggestions on how to free up the front plate?
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

Perhaps I should have posted my question here on a Pflueger Capital No. 1988 that I am have a problem with. The reel is frozen on the front Bakalite plate to the reel body and I was hoping someone here could help me with a suggestion as to how I can free it from the frame so it will rotate. Haven't had any success yet with WD-40 and a little persuasive tapping. I don't want to force the Bakalite plate to much as I'm sure it will brake or crack if forced to much. Yes the pin is working and I can retract it when trying to rotate the body.

alantani

if it's the reel i'm thinking of, there are marks that tell you how far back you have to rotate the side plate before it will pull off. i think it's just like a jigmaster. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I have used a strap wrench to get mine off.  This is one of my favorite reels because it was the very first conventional reel that I had used for surf fishing.  It was given to me by my grand uncle.  I believe it uses squidder drags if I recall.  Let me look for mine and I'll get back to you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Reel 224

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 17, 2014, 09:26:39 PM
I have used a strap wrench to get mine off.  This is one of my favorite reels because it was the very first conventional reel that I had used for surf fishing.  It was given to me by my grand uncle.  I believe it uses squidder drags if I recall.  Let me look for mine and I'll get back to you.

I can understand you liking this reel. I love it,It's smooth and has good power and if I could modify the handle length it would even be better.

I have a strap wrench some ware, if I can find it Ill give it a try...Well as I was typing my wife came up from the basement with the strap wrench and it turned. But I cant get it to pull completely apart. Got it!!!! Man that was tighter then a clams Butt. I'm going to clean it up and see if I can get it working a little easier.

Thanks for the suggestion of using that belt wrench,that did the trick!! Ill take some pictures of the seen now.

Bryan Young

Success...I love it when a plan comes together.

Reel 224

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 18, 2014, 06:05:05 AM
Success...I love it when a plan comes together.

Yes,me too :D Thanks for your help Bryan. I'm wondering if there are any spools available for that reel? The one that is on this reel has some pitting,I could do some polishing on it but I'm sure it will take the nickle platting off.

Bryan Young

No spools that I know of.  I haven't compared spools from other brands to see if the would fit though.

Reel 224

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 18, 2014, 03:12:31 PM
No spools that I know of.  I haven't compared spools from other brands to see if the would fit though.

So do ya think the polishing of the original spool would be good?

Bryan Young

I would remove the corrosion and polish the spool then seal it with a good wax and you would be goo to go again.

Bryan Young

The gear sleeve is square.  I wonder if the Accurate or Shimano TLD arms would fit?  Can you measure the dimensions of the gear sleeve where it joins the handle?

handi2

I'll look tomorrow b/c I have a few of these reels..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel 224

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 18, 2014, 09:49:30 PM
The gear sleeve is square.  I wonder if the Accurate or Shimano TLD arms would fit?  Can you measure the dimensions of the gear sleeve where it joins the handle?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are asking for the diameter of the portion of the spool shaft that meshes with the crank gear. Correct?

Here are some Dimensions:   Crank gear OD 0.462" Spool shaft gear OD 0.562" Spool gear slot spacing ID 0.290" (there are three) If you need other dimensions let me know.