Ye ole Berkeley HD III line metering machine

Started by David Hall, November 18, 2014, 01:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

So after 8 hrs in the dentists chair enjoying all the drilling yanking under conscious sedation when I woke up the next day I had little I could do outside so what else to do but pursue fishing gear on E Bay?  Ann well over did that the week before so better steer clear of E Bay for the rest of the month.  But Craig's list? There's hardly ever anything worth chasing on there.  I can enjoy a couple hours without getting off the couch.
   and then"................some guy has this line winder for sale 250 or possible trade for other fishing stuff!
Long story short I managed to work a swap for this line winder for my Accurate 665H.  So in the spirit of this forum I told him I would service the reel first. So last night schematic on IPad I tore into the reel and cleaned and lubed everything got it back together and wiped it down with corrosion X.   
   Made the trade today.  machine seems solid and everything appears to be there except the spring post for moving the line back and forth on the reel.  $20 for the fancy one or $8.50 for the hand held one from triangle.
Problem is I have no idea how this thing works?
Seems to me that there must be several folks on here that are familiar with the machine and how to set up and operate it.
What say the brotherhood?

Shark Hunter

We need pics David. I have a problem with the ebay myself. If nobody is chatting, I go there. :P
Life is Good!

David Hall

Got the reel and spool where they go.  The hole in the base I think is for the flex post to fit in to move the line back and forth.
I got the handle winder set to the reel and I am thinking the wheel in the middle is for spinning reel spools to mount.
It's the feed spool mounting that has me puzzled.
Seems like there should be some kind I'd collar to move the cork faced wheel on the left up to the side of the feed spool so it one stays in place and two to apply drag force when winding.
Have not found anything online except triangle corp who may or may not have made this has some parts available but nothing real helpful.

David Hall

Might have it figured out.  Took a closer look and discovered two set screws on the floating wheel on the left.
It appears that you hold the filler spool against the cone, slide the wheel up snug to the other end of the spool and tighten the set screws.
This will hold the feed spool firm and level.
Now to see how much tension can be applied during spooling.
Motor looks pretty light weight the rating plate says 90V DC.
.68 amps
35 in. Oz. torque
1765 rpm
might look into a motor upgrade and a drag system to get more tension.
Just for fun I mean why not?

Tiddlerbasher

Hi David,
Take a look at this thread - it may give you some ideas for your line spooler :)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11452.0

David Hall

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 18, 2014, 10:58:13 AM
Hi David,
Take a look at this thread - it may give you some ideas for your line spooler :)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11452.0

Wow now thats some advanced shade tree engineering if ever I saw it!
Definately some ideas in there worth taking a closer look at.
Thanks

foakes

Hi David --

Good buy on that line winder!

I have one like that that I use for all HD reels.  The motor is more powerful than you might realize -- so be careful.

There is another one I purchased more recently -- it takes care of any spinners, baitcasters, or conventional reels up to 6/0.  It also does a rapid job of stripping off old line.  I got some sort of a dealer wholesale discount since I generally purchase 50 or 60 large spools at a time of primarily Big Game.  Still cost about $800, or so, 10 years ago.

Also have a couple of smaller older Berkleys -- they are good for spinners -- and never seem to wear out -- even after many decades.

A couple of hints you probably already know -- but for other folks:

Respect these machines as you would a table saw or jointer -- they are powerful if allowed to over-run your attention.  They will damage a reel, spool, or handle -- if used casually.

Always have a pair of leather gloves handy for spooling -- or for keeping a little back pressure on the outside of the supply spool for proper tension.  This also protects your fingers from a deep cut.

As for the spring spooling guide -- I use it a little, and maybe should use it more -- but I like the hand held loop version.

Double check the reel attachments and supply spool thumbscrews before using each time.

Keep a few drops of oil on the bearings and shafts.

The last two pics are of an antique line spooler from probably around the turn of the last century.  Needs a new leather belt -- but it still works as good as it did over 100 years ago -- cast iron.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

David Hall

Great hints and for the record I have never used one of these machines before.
I will however keep my Shirt tail tucked in and watch where I put my hands until I am completely familiar with the operation of it.
That one of yours is the same machine so I may need some guidance on operating it.  Plan on hearing from me again probably soon.
Thanks again

handi2

Hello David,

Did you get everything figured out? I had one of those years ago.

At the motor the left cork plate section is for using an old spool for removing like. Also to spool spinning reel spools.

To the far left at the spool holder the cork face goes tight against the new spool of line and locks in. The adjustment slot at the bottom is for centering the new line spool to the reel.

It may have come with some plastic bushing to put into the larger spools so they fit the shaft. The holes in the large line spools is larger than the shaft showing.

The metal winding arm should go behind the reels handle so it pushes the handle, not pulling it. I found electrical tape the fastest and easiest way to tie them together if needed.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

David Hall

I ordered up a hand held line guide from triangle this morning and I got my eye on some Ebay auctions for line.
I wont get a chance to try the winder out until after the holidays as my garage will be taken over tomorrow and decorated for all the family holiday events.  I should never have fixed it up so nice!
Life was much simpler when I just threw up a plywood wall seperating the laundry area from the rest of the garage.  It locked from my side and had a sign on her side that read "Entery by invitation only".
Then I decided I wanted a nice clean warm well lighted place to work on and keep my toys so down came the plywood wall, I wired it up, insulated it, sheetrock tape texture and paint, checkerboard vinyl floor, T-Bar ceiling with 8 T-9 fixtures. Maple finished full height wall cabinets 24' down one side.  Storage shelves, Workbench, Deep freeze, gunsafe down the other side.  Animal heads and horns everywhere.
And then she saw it and staked her claim.  This is now the family holiday dining room and must be cleaned and decorated accordingly, per her direction.  Tonight I have to take a scrubber and clean and wax the floor.  Tomorrow the rented tables and chairs go in.  By next week the lights and decorations will start up.  Makes me want to cry I am getting to soft in my age!

David Hall

Dang a five year old thread and I just got around to setting the winder up permanently at my workbench today.  I purchased a new spool setup its called the Bees Knees last year it has live center tapered ends and a drag stack for tensioning the spool, supposedly up to 30# drag is possible but I'm not convinced of that.  Not sure how tension can be measured except with hand scale?  Same way I check drag on my reels?  I modified the old spool holder to hold the line counter and moved it further away from the business end to decrease the angle of line as it's coming off the bigger spools.  I'd like to find a better setup for attaching the reels than the factory bar.  Something else to play around with between fishing trips.
  Put it to work today on 4 of my reels stripping old line and adding fresh, and one for my fishing buddy set up on a pristine penn 114. Loaded it up with 80# braid and 60# topshot. Think I'm really going to enjoy having it handy.  I would like to hear thoughts on adjusting the tension for loading braid.  I measured the tension with my handy little scale and adjusted the spool tension to 10# and was to scared to go beyond that. 

Tiddlerbasher

10lb for braid will be fine. I have tried various tensions up to 25lbs and the higher settings didn't get more line on a spool - so I settled on 10lb. I theorized that 10lb drag was enough to remove the minimal stretch of braid and that anymore was just a waste of energy. 8-10lb is also what Jerry Brown recommends :)
Just remember to back off the drag to minimum (to prevent overuns) when spooling mono.
Glad you finally got it working.

mhc

Sounds good David, a line winder is something I think about every time I spool a reel. I would be interested in seeing a photo of the final set-up, sounds like you have 're-claimed' your garage.  :D

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.