this is an inshore trip.

Started by alantani, November 19, 2014, 10:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Looking at what this trip is supposed to be I think your fine without a 2 speed. I wish I was going, more than I can tell you all.

If I was going I'd bring: my bait rig, which is a built 180 on an old Ocean City 15# rod, a 112HN with 5:1 gears set up as a 30# general purpose, a regular 112H set up as a bait rig and my Newelled YTS with all the goodies loaded with 80# braid and 40-80# top shots. I'd probably use the boats gear for "trolling prison" as I just don't have enough oportunities to justify a purchase of a big reel.

For an inshore trip, I am of the opinion that you can't do any better.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

George4741

Quote from: noyb72 on January 19, 2015, 09:12:31 PM

If I was going I'd bring: my bait rig, which is a built 180 on an old Ocean City 15# rod, a 112HN with 5:1 gears set up as a 30# general purpose, a regular 112H set up as a bait rig and my Newelled YTS with all the goodies loaded with 80# braid and 40-80# top shots. I'd probably use the boats gear for "trolling prison" as I just don't have enough oportunities to justify a purchase of a big reel.

Thank you for the info, Ron.  I like your minimalist recommendations. 
viurem lliures o morirem

Wally15

Quote from: noyb72 on January 19, 2015, 09:12:31 PM

I like your minimalist recommendations. 

Being a true Southerner, I'm not bringing ANY fishing gear. I'll show you guys (and gal) how to "noodle" for calico bass  ;D
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Big Tim

[/quote]
Being a true Southerner, I'm not bringing ANY fishing gear. I'll show you guys (and gal) how to "noodle" for calico bass  ;D
[/quote]

Bring a big knife for the sharks and you should be able to noodle away ;D

sundaytrucka

Is there WiFi on the SOA?

Just wondering.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

alantani

only a sat phone for emergency calls.  call the office first.  http://www.spiritofadventurefishing.com/news/contact
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Aiala

Quote from: sundaytrucka on March 17, 2015, 09:00:49 PM

Nope, and I'm actually a bit surprised that there isn't, since most of the other premier boats now offer it. On the other hand, from what I've experienced, the signal reception is usually pretty iffy and slow, so you're not missing out on much. Besides, part of the mystique of a sea voyage is being cut off from landlubberly concerns. I find it quite liberating. ;)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

sundaytrucka

Quote from: Aiala on March 17, 2015, 10:55:17 PM
Quote from: sundaytrucka on March 17, 2015, 09:00:49 PM

Besides, part of the mystique of a sea voyage is being cut off from landlubberly concerns. I find it quite liberating. ;)

~A~
Completely agree,. Not an intense phone or Internet person, I spend most of my time on here anyway, and will be living the site for five days. This will be the longest time I have been away from the family, literally have not been more than 48 hours without seeing them, and she is 14 months now. Five days of no contact, it will be a bit of an adjustment.

Aiala

Quote from: sundaytrucka on March 18, 2015, 01:51:29 AM
Five days of no contact, it will be a bit of an adjustment.

You'll do fine, and so will your family. Five days will go by very quickly... and I'll bet that before long you'll start thinking about longer voyages. Eight days... ten... fourteen! (Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.)   ;D

~A~

Dominick

Quote from: Aiala on March 18, 2015, 03:12:33 AM

You'll do fine, and so will your family. Five days will go by very quickly... and I'll bet that before long you'll start thinking about longer voyages. Eight days... ten... fourteen! (Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.)   ;D

~A~
Aiala... ;D ;D ;D That is funny.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sundaytrucka

Quote from: Dominick on March 18, 2015, 04:35:13 AM
Quote from: Aiala on March 18, 2015, 03:12:33 AM

You'll do fine, and so will your family. Five days will go by very quickly... and I'll bet that before long you'll start thinking about longer voyages. Eight days... ten... fourteen! (Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.)   ;D

~A~
Aiala... ;D ;D ;D That is funny.  Dominick

X2 Dominick.

Thank you for the words Aiala, you are right, just a new experience for me, the trip and life that is.

-Scott

Wally15

FWIW, my dog will miss me a lot more than the wife will. And probably the reverse is true. Must mean the honeymoon is over!
What should be my next step in prepping for this Big Adventure? I've never fished for calico bass or WSB before. Is there a UTube section on the type of fishing we'll be doing? Underhand casting, overhead casting, jigging, trolling, etc.? With this many people, the east coast and GoM charters/head boats mostly vertical drop. But most of their patrons don't have anywhere close to the experience level of this group. I plan on spending most of May on the GOM, and I might as well use the time to hone a particular skill so I won't embarrass myself too much in June.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Aiala

Quote from: Wally15 on March 19, 2015, 09:09:36 AM
FWIW, my dog will miss me a lot more than the wife will. And probably the reverse is true.

You'll miss the dog more than your wife?? Oh, my.  ::)

Actually, you're not alone. I have a funny story about that... remind me to tell you in June.  ;)

~A~

alantani

yeah, well, try locking both in the garage for 3 hours and see who's happy to see you when you open the door.....   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Yup!  Cats are somewhere between the two.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain