Long Beach 66

Started by Newell Nut, November 20, 2014, 03:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Great Deal there Daron. I noticed the gear looks brass. Wonder which years were what. The last mint one that I got had a steel gear. Early longbeach 60s and 65s have steel gears. Usually found in the models with the clicker spring riveted to the side. Every one that I have seen with the clicker spring bolted to the side plate is a brass gear which is the newer version.

broschro

Dwight let me know if you want to sell me a 309 for my son.my oldest had one he loves it.

Shark Hunter

Since I'm getting into these Long Beaches now, I bought a parts reel. It has the lighthouse scene and figured I would need parts down the line.
The two right side plates use different dogs. A spring on the newer, a brass spring on the older. Dammit!
The older reel's drag washers look like undergear fiber? It does however have a deep steel gear.
This is what I came up with. Dremel a spot for the spring and ss dog. ;)
I laid out the three stack from the brass gear, but this gear is so deep, I fit a full 5 stack in there with 6-60's and stock washers. The old gear had a short spacer and the fiber washer like I see on a 9/0.
Something old something new.
As Sal says, Gorgeous! ;)
These pics are out of order, trying to fix the photobucket bomb. >:(

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Love that sideplate.  Nice job.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Islandgypsy

I like the " Root Beer" handle knob..haven't seen one of those before.

Jerseymic

Nice one Daron.

I have just bought a 67 with the same sideplate, the chrome is mucky, but just loved the sideplate!

Alto Mare

Those are nice little treasures and yes, that plate is gorgeous ;).
You're getting much better with that dremel buddy, that could be a good or bad ;D.

I'm sure you already know, that spool will make you a nice Grouper Special ;)
Nice job!!!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Nice job there Daron. That side plate must a be a really old one. The side plate on mine is smooth. We saw the pics of the shark caught at the beach with a 209 so just think what the possibilities are for the 66 which is a lot tougher built.

broschro

Daron very nice looking reel you have there 8)

fIsHsTiiCkS

Only one dog Daron  :o ;D

Newell Nut

Quote from: broschro on December 04, 2014, 12:15:18 AM
Dwight let me know if you want to sell me a 309 for my son.my oldest had one he loves it.

A done deal for you. I sent you an email with details.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on December 14, 2014, 02:11:59 PM
Only one dog Daron  :o ;D
That was the only stainless one I had. More are on the way. ;)
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

All this talk about long beaches made me dig into the reel pile I have in the garage. Got a bunch of reels in a big box from a yard sale been going through them. I knew I had one but never had any reason to fix her up.

The reel was pretty gummy. Started with a Cleaning

Decided to shine the side plates up a little.

The Drag stack was the old plastic washers. A new set of HT-100s to replace it.

The stack was way to high. I measured out the orignial washers were .70mm and the 6-60 HT-100 with the fiberglass core are 1.20mm ???
So I had one 6-60 HT-100 with out the fiberglass core measured at .80mm and then I cut 2 more washers from a .55mm sheet I Had. Perfect now.

Last A delrin washer swapped for the under gear washer and SS dog to finish it up.

All cleaned up and to my surprise has a SS spool!

This reel is definietley not as beefy as the 66 but its a cool little reel.

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 14, 2014, 08:53:19 PM
That was the only stainless one I had. More are on the way. ;)

If you are in a hurry a 15-309 will work.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

What? Only one dog and no stainless sleeve? :D
Life is Good!