Newell Reels : The History of Newell Reels

Started by ez2cdave, November 21, 2014, 04:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

You are awesome Dave. 

On the other hand, I can't look at it again....I'll start collecting Newells too!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 27, 2016, 02:29:39 PM
You are awesome Dave. 

On the other hand, I can't look at it again....I'll start collecting Newells too!

You KNOW it will be " whispering in your ear " . . . " READ me, READ me, oh PLEASE, READ me . . . You KNOW you WANT it, SO BAD ! "

LOL !

russ1962

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 27, 2016, 01:59:14 AM
I am about even on the Gs and no letter ones. I like the earliest Gs the best with the SS jack and clicker. The slight negative is the 8 tooth dog sprocket and I have upgraded mine with Tom's 10 tooth sprockets.

I am not a big fan of Cs and long body bolts but my first Newell 540 3.2 was C and it now sports a tib frame. That reel has caught thousands of fish and still runs like a new reel. It is a workhorse that I have fished since 1992. My other most used Newell is the first year G338 with the red labels. That one has hauled in a mess fish too and is my flatline (drift line) reel. They never fail me.

I also have a G220 with a 10 tooth sprocket. It's pretty much my favorite one out of the 220's that I have.
Landed a nice 25lb YT with it last season.

r8rs4lf

Can anyone explain why some have the red on the side plates where the model numbers, newell, and ball bearing inserts are? Are those older models? What does the red signify?

Swami805

A few G's had red badges I think, Don't know that it means anything but I could be wrong. If you're asking about the P322's on BD pretty sure the guy painted them.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

r8rs4lf

Quote from: Swami805 on July 10, 2017, 01:08:56 PM
A few G's had red badges I think, Don't know that it means anything but I could be wrong. If you're asking about the P322's on BD pretty sure the guy painted them.

Yes, exactly why I'm asking.

Newell Nut

The Gs with the red badges were the first year of the Gs.

SoCalAngler

I sold a couple of of G series reels a couple of years back for a friend that had red badges that were stock and not painted. If I remember correctly the first run or two had the red badges strait from Newell. I have no idea what your looking at on BD but I know for a fact that some early G's did come with the red badges and silver lettering.

enfish

I still have a G229 that my dad bought in 1985 or 1986 that came with red badges from the Newell factory.

r8rs4lf

Quote from: SoCalAngler on July 10, 2017, 05:38:27 PM
I sold a couple of of G series reels a couple of years back for a friend that had red badges that were stock and not painted. If I remember correctly the first run or two had the red badges strait from Newell. I have no idea what your looking at on BD but I know for a fact that some early G's did come with the red badges and silver lettering.

Same for the P series?

Swami805

Pretty sure just the G's. It's easy to paint the badges, pop them out of the plate,spray paint them red,wipe the paint off the raised silver parts. Dollars to donuts the guy on BD painted those. Ask him

SoCalAngler

Quote from: r8rs4lf on July 11, 2017, 01:35:16 AM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on July 10, 2017, 05:38:27 PM

Same for the P series?

Newellnut may know better but I think the red badges were the same as on the P's as the first run G's that came later. Then Carl went to the black badges for later G's and others. If I remember correctly the red badges came back when Carl went to the later made red colored reels but the lettering was white and font used for the lettering was different. Same for the purple and pink. I'm not 100% sure about this but in my mind I think that's how they came.

Now I held 3 or 4 clear Newell's in my hand when Valley Manufacturing sold them after they bought Newell Reels. To this day it still haunts me that I did not buy the lot on site. And, I don't remember what badges they had but if my feet were held to the fire I'd say they had the black badges with silver lettering.

Swami805

The only other red on a black Newell I've run across is the red trim on the no-letter 322. Badges vary a little. The ones I've seen either have white or nothing if they're molded in and white or silver on loose badges.  Could be anything floating around lots of strange newells pop up

r8rs4lf

So going off the information I'm getting, the early P series 322's (may have) came with red badging, then went to black and silver badging, then went back to red badging for the early G series? Is that right?

Has anyone seen/held a factory red badged P series 322? I understand that anything is possible these days as far as painting them, etc., but I'd like to know if they came red from the factory.

happyhooker

Don't know if this topic was asked/answered elsewhere, but I gather the "Newell" of these reels has no tie to Newell Brands, the huge outfit that now, through Pure Fishing, owns Berkley, Pflueger, etc.

Frank