Rod modification...Math check

Started by Big Tim, November 22, 2014, 11:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

I need to shorten my custom rod, so I peeled back some of the foam on the butt next to the gimbal and get a circumference of about 3 3/16" +/-. My math says 26mm gimbal cap? What say you guys. The rod is a Rainshadow 40-80 7' which should be .950" but I'm getting a slightly larger measurement.

Thanks, Big Tim

Reel 224

Quote from: Big Tim on November 22, 2014, 11:22:23 PM
I need to shorten my custom rod, so I peeled back some of the foam on the butt next to the gimbal and get a circumference of about 3 3/16" +/-. My math says 26mm gimbal cap? What say you guys. The rod is a Rainshadow 40-80 7' which should be .950" but I'm getting a slightly larger measurement.

Thanks, Big Tim

Near as I can come is 25mm,26mm with your measurement.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Get one slightly oversize and build up the blank to fit.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Keta on November 23, 2014, 04:51:46 AM
Get one slightly oversize and build up the blank to fit.

Yep.

Buy a size 27 and make two 1/4" bands as bushings.  One tip: cut a small "v" in each band of tape in line with each other down to the blank.  This will allow the air to escape as you slide the gimbal on so that you don't have the air pressure inside pushing the gimbal off.