Navy Chief Rod

Started by Newell Nut, November 23, 2014, 02:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

This one is spiral wrapped and built for a retired Navy Chief with an air warfare medal and I forget the other one. Built on a Rainshadow 30-80 class rod and will be paired with a Newell P447-5 or course.

cwillis85

Absolutely one of the coolest rods I have ever seen. So many different reasons to like this one.
Chris

Keta

Nice but the guides don't line up.... ;D   I'm slowly converting all my rods to spiral wrap, including my kokanee rods.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Excellent work my friend ;), that's one gorgeous rod.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Thanks Guys, this one stretched my skill level another notch and was fun to do as well. I plan to do all of my conventionals in spiral wrap unless the customer does not want it. I plan to also install my personal design hook keeper on all rods.

Tiddlerbasher

Jeri

Hi 

Like the design, simple yet effective, especially with the black blank.

Been experimenting with spiral wraps on some of our 14' surf rods, and get all the usual comments – rings not straight, top section twisted, etc. The thing is that this simple solution removes such a huge twisting load on the rods when 'hauling' heavy loads.

Found that the direction of wrapping of the carbon/glass in the blank also effects the direction of roll, and this has an effect on the direction I roll the guides.

Just a thought – though it might not become effective until longer rods are used.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Ron Jones

From a Chief, that is pretty cool. We salts often don't go for much new, but the spiral wrap seems to be the deal. Since he is retired, I can call him one lucky Air-dale. Air-dales on targets never realize their are real sailors aiming big underwater missiles at them, nothing lucky about that!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Wow! Dwight.  That is a beauty.  Dom
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

Dwight

That is one SHARP Rod

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

Thanks Guys, I just started messing with rods a few months ago and not sure yet where it is going to take me. This one was a real pleasure to do and I have to say my favorite thus far.
I started rebuilding rods for the party boat and then customers wanted to know who did the work and I think I have done 50 rods since mid July.
A lot of them are vintage rod rebuilds which are a lot of fun. Taking grandpas rod and making it into art work is cool. I did one for a guy and now his wife will not let him fish with it. She has it placed by the TV.
I have worked on power plants all my life and I have never had any artistic ability so I am baffled how I am coming with some of this stuff but customers like it.

Jon Vadney

Beautiful job man.  Very nice.

rjones

Nice looking rod, the other pin looks like Enlisted Surface Warfare
Rob

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D