Anon Shaw 6000

Started by Stan, November 24, 2014, 04:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Does anybody know anything about an Anon Shaw 6000?  I know it was an inexpensive copy of a Penn reel made in the 60s.  Looks to be similar to a 112, but I'm not exactly sure.  My dad gave me one that he bought back then and used on and off through the 1980s.  Trying to figure out if it is worth finding the right Tiburon frame and spool....if there is one...

As far as I know, there is no value as a collectable, so it is fix it up to use, trash it, or keep as-is as a personal memento

Rancanfish

I had one, maybe still do, it's like you said a copy.  If my dad gave it to me I'd fish it.  Jmho.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Stan

Yeah...It has more sentimental value than anything.  This was one of two reels he had left hanging in his garage; the other is a Penn 155....Dad is 75 and doesn't fish any more, but I remember using these reels as a kid in the 60s and 70s.  I'll clean them up inside and out and see if either or both is worth using, (after replacing drags and probably frames and spools) or if I should just put them on a shelf and look at them.

Bryan Young

Post pics of the tear down if you can.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Stan

Here are some pics as I've taken down the reel.  I'll post as I clean it up.

Looks like a steel main gear.  The drag washers are  be .8 inch o.d. and .4 inch i.d....I need to call Dawn to see if she has a stack.  I'd like to replace the metal washers and spring as well.  Otherwise, she is cleaning up pretty good.  I've used "Flitz" on the spool, trim rings and frame posts, and they look good.  I'll post some pics over the weekend. 

Bryan Young

Kind of looks like Penn Squidder drags.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

Nice Japan copy like they did with so many other reels. It will fish fine with new HT-100's. The fish will never know it's a copy! I'm sure the 6-60's will fit this reel going by your dimensions.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Etchase

6-60's worked for me. Mine works fine, and it's got that friction spool drag button. Can't imagine ever using it though. I'm not that dexterous.

Stan

Still need to order the drag washers and do some more cleaning, but here is what I've done so far

Stan

Here is the reel all cleaned up.  It may not look perfect, but it feels smooth.  Only new parts were the drag stack - HT-100 kit with new metal washers