CS 501

Started by ejruiz, November 24, 2014, 09:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejruiz

Was fishing with my CS501 this morning using about 10lbs of drag and the screws that mount to the foot got ripped out. Anyone else have this problem? Lost a really nice abmer jack cause of this. Possible fix? Anyone have the email address of the guy that made these I'd like to see if he has a frame and screws laying around.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

alternatively, use a larger countersunk screw and retap. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ejruiz

Thanks for all the suggestions.

ejruiz

I will try to post the video of when it happened. I could not believe my eyes when I went to turn the handle and the whole thing came off. Alan would be willing to do a service on this thing for me and taking care of those screws?

alantani

sure, you have a pm!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

maxpowers

Quote from: ejruiz on November 24, 2014, 09:34:29 PM
Was fishing with my CS501 this morning using about 10lbs of drag and the screws that mount to the foot got ripped out. Anyone else have this problem? Lost a really nice abmer jack cause of this. Possible fix? Anyone have the email address of the guy that made these I'd like to see if he has a frame and screws laying around.

Did you have a reel clamp on when the foot came off?

ejruiz

Did you have a reel clamp on when the foot came off?
[/quote]

Yes. The foot and clamp stayed on while I had the rod in one hand and reel in the other. The fish was still hooked. I handed them off to the deck hand and tried to pull it in by hand but it got off. I had color and only had maybe 10-20 feet to go.

Bryan Young

He had issues with the Oceanus reels.  This is the first I have heard for CS500 series reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ejruiz

I took a better look at the damage now that I'm not as upset. Looks like some of the screws may have not been tight and that caused a little too much stress on the ones that were. I say this because only two of the screw holes are stripped. Thats my fault I usually check my gear prior to a trip. I guess I overlooked it this time.