The 99 Club 2.0

Started by George4741, November 24, 2014, 11:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

Nice work!! I built a 1/0 a little while ago and was thinking about doing it 99 size! Beautiful to see something similar in action and keep it up!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Normslanding

Great inspiration. I will have a nice 259, with a Power House trans. at Xmas. Sure makes me think.........................

George4741

Thank you guys, but it's small potatoes compared to what some of you are doing with Penn reels.  
A Tiburon frame in any width sure does dress up the Senator 1/0 and 259, though.  That along with the chrome rings give it a very classy look.
viurem lliures o morirem

fIsHsTiiCkS

Okay George, you motivated me to do the same thing!

I took a few spare jigmaster parts I had laying around and made a 99 Jigmaster. I was never a fan of the single ring side plate of the jigmaster so I took George's lead and tapped an accurate frame to fit the Silver Beach non handle side plate.

I only had hand drill and tap. I went fairly slow and it came out very nice!

Im doing this for now on, with any black Jigmaster setups I do. I really like the feel and the spool/clicker fit perfectly!

Thanks for Paving the way George.

Rothmar2

That is some courageous good work!

Mattman NZ

Excellent work to both you George & Fishstiicks.

DaBigOno

Nice!  I wish I had some Silver Beaches
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

I have one and it's going to stay a stock dust collector.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Have to agree with Lee --

There is so much history in these old Silver Beach 99s -- and they have been out of production for decades -- mine would stay on display also.

A Jigmaster would be easily available -- do the same job -- and easy to upgrade and fish.

Hopefully I would have a 99 Silver Beach some day to display -- they are truly historical.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

fIsHsTiiCkS

The beauty of my build is that it is a jigmaster that just utilizes the 99 side plate. Agreed that these 99 reels have history and make great collectors items! Another idea that will work even better than a 99 side plate and still give you the double rings is just to use 1/0 or 259 side plate. The plate will bolt straight on, with no need to drill and tap, as George mentioned and it will work with jigmaster spool and handle side plate.

Still quite a few 99's around Fred! Grab them up as they are great reels and I'm actually looking for one with a design on the side plate, as that would be an ideal display reel.

mike1010

Nerves of steel, doing that with a hand drill.  Now it needs socket head screws ;D.

foakes

Over the years, I have 99ed or Newelled many dozens of Jigmasters for folks.

Particularly for folks fishing the SoCal areas -- using 30 & 40 lb rigs.

Accurate frames, Newell bushings, power handles, smooth drags, SS discs, aluminum spools narrow and regular.  And these reels perform flawlessly for decades.

Just never saved an original Silver Beach.

I will be on the lookout.

Thanks,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

Fred,check your e mail. I have a couple silver beach reels that may fit the bill
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Decker

Happened upon this thread...  I love the Silver Beach.  It must have the "golden mean" proportions.  Just catches the eye and feels good in the hands.

Very nicely executed innovation, drilling and tapping the Tiburon frame to fit the 99 plate.

The "Grouper Special" reel invented on AT.com caught my eye, and I thought the same might be done with the Long Beach 66 (spool donor for the GS).  A picture-plate LB66 on a 113H narrow tiburon frame, with Sal's 149/113H main/pinion gearset to boot (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9979.0).

I don't have the tools or skills to tap the frame.  Sal? ::)