Grandpa's Basement

Started by coastal_dan, November 25, 2014, 02:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

I've titled this topic this way because I am constantly finding awesome fishing things in my late Grandfathers basement. 

He was an amazing man who was a machinist, carpenter and electrician.  In his free time he fished a lot back in the 60's, 70's and 80's on his Cuddy Cabin (picture below).  We miss him dearly, but constantly find happiness in his legacy of family...ok done with the memoir onto the fun pics! ;D

A Spinfisher 710 and St. Croix Rod I paired it to.  He has a box of reels that we are still going through, I've already converted or restored both a Jigmaster and a 180.

Neat old dropper rig...

Hope you guys don't mind I'm going to keep adding photos to this, its a blast remembering him this way.

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bucktail

Just a jig-a-lo

the rockfish ninja

Great post, that conventional setup is awesome, the jasper windings on the guides of that Oceanic is classic.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

bluefish69

I would put another coat of Spar Varnish on the Wrappings because it with preserve them. I have some of my Dad's rods from the 60's to do also.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Tightlines667

That is a pretty cool rod.  Are those actually tiger wraps?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

No, we do not mind. Keep them coming and thanks for sharing with us.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i wonder if the kids are going to feel the same way about my garage!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Quote from: alantani on November 26, 2014, 12:12:27 PM
I don't so Alan.  I can predict I know what's going to happen.  Joy will call of you your fishing repair buddies and let us have all of your stuff if and only if we can clear the garage so she can park her car inside. :D

Then all of us will get in trouble with all of our wives for clearing out your garage and putting it in ours.  lol
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

oh, yeah, and another photo of the month!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: alantani on November 26, 2014, 12:12:27 PM

Alan I bet you have great kids and the girls seem that they like to fish with you but if they don't want to rummage around the garage to find all the goodies I'm sure someone would. Heck give me ten minutes and one shopping bag to fill and I bet I'd be a very happy camper. I would only ask for a few items that you or they wouldn't to deal with, simple, easy, no mess or stress...lol . Have a happy Thanksgiving and thank you for making a community like this.

MarkT

My youngest son, the fisherman, says he's inheriting all my fishing gear.  I told him I really can take it with me when I go... I'm getting a really big casket.  He said, "Dad, you can't do that to me!", well, we'll see!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

coastal_dan

Thanks all, glad it is well received.  I'll post some more this week.
Dan from Philadelphia...

coastal_dan

Ok, a couple more from a box this past weekend...There are a ton of old conventional, spinning and fly reels I need to go through.  Sorry for the cell phone pics...

This one isn't too old, but interesting to see Diawa made in the USA.  Should make a great lightweight surf pole.

Thanks for looking!
Dan from Philadelphia...