My way of applying rod finish - How To

Started by Jon Vadney, December 01, 2014, 08:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Vadney

If it works, dont change it!  As I stated earlier, there are a million ways to apply finish, and what I do may not work for other people.  My biggest intent with the whole post in general was to help some of the beginners iron out the mistakes before they've even made them.  I've made every mistake imaginable lol. 

Jeri

Hi  Jon,

It's the first 100 are when you make the most mistakes, after that it becomes easier. Having said that after the first 100, you are pretty much set in your ways as to how you go about doing your own thing. We each develop our skills by a different route, but ultimately we end up with pretty much the same thing.

Seen it all too often with shark anglers – put 12 in a room with all the 'makings', and you will end up with 12 different rigs – each with a strong point of view. Then add bait and you will end up seeing another 12 variations. They all work and mostly catch fish – so debating the virtues of the accomplished is a fairly pointless exercise. All we can hope to achieve is to perhaps see something new, and learn from it.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Reel 224

Quote from: Jeri on December 03, 2014, 01:54:17 PM
Hi  Jon,

It's the first 100 are when you make the most mistakes, after that it becomes easier. Having said that after the first 100, you are pretty much set in your ways as to how you go about doing your own thing. We each develop our skills by a different route, but ultimately we end up with pretty much the same thing.

Seen it all too often with shark anglers – put 12 in a room with all the 'makings', and you will end up with 12 different rigs – each with a strong point of view. Then add bait and you will end up seeing another 12 variations. They all work and mostly catch fish – so debating the virtues of the accomplished is a fairly pointless exercise. All we can hope to achieve is to perhaps see something new, and learn from it.

Cheers from sunny Africa

I agree with your statement about opinions or convictions. I think John is giving us all information directed at learning something new or for those of us that are new to the hobby. If we listen to everyone suggesting how to do something and each get a little something new from it we can improve our own skills. Example: I also use a butane lighter for heating the Epoxy finish..but I hadn't given much thought to the fact that there is some soot omitted from it. Good point, better to use it as a heat source but not under the rod blank,just to one side. Trial and era teaches all lessons every day.       

Jeri

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Newell Nut

Jon

Do you use one of those alcohol torches from Mudhole? If not what kind?

Dwight

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Newell Nut on December 03, 2014, 08:46:28 PM
Jon

Dwight

Hey Dwight, these are the ones I use.
http://www.amazon.com/82440-Plastic-Alcohol-Torch/dp/B001EMM2HC
Don't order from crud hole if you can avoid it.  I've spent money with them but only when I haven't had any other option.  They've stolen photos of rod builders work to promote products, even when the work wasn't done with what they are trying to sell.  I'm not bashing them because I also sell rod building components, my bashing on them started waaaaaaay before I got into this business.  Plus, they charge ridiculous amounts for shipping.

Reel 224

Quote from: Jon Vadney on December 03, 2014, 10:56:53 PM
Quote from: Newell Nut on December 03, 2014, 08:46:28 PM
Jon

Dwight

Hey Dwight, these are the ones I use.
http://www.amazon.com/82440-Plastic-Alcohol-Torch/dp/B001EMM2HC
Don't order from crud hole if you can avoid it.  I've spent money with them but only when I haven't had any other option.  They've stolen photos of rod builders work to promote products, even when the work wasn't done with what they are trying to sell.  I'm not bashing them because I also sell rod building components, my bashing on them started waaaaaaay before I got into this business.  Plus, they charge ridiculous amounts for shipping.

Those are facts that are true as well as there not helping with true answers for the beginning rod builder. There shipping is notoriously over charged. It's tough to find a good supplier out there. They are there though.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Newell Nut

What do dentist use these alcohol torches for? I saw that a lot in my searches. I am not a mudhole fan either and they are only 40 miles away. Their shipping rates are terrible for sure.

Tightlines667

Both dentists and microbiologists (I used to be one).  Use them to sterilize tools between uses when time does not allow for autoclaving, and a disposable tool is not available.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Reel 224

Quote from: Newell Nut on December 04, 2014, 01:46:09 AM
What do dentist use these alcohol torches for? I saw that a lot in my searches. I am not a mudhole fan either and they are only 40 miles away. Their shipping rates are terrible for sure.

Not to get off subject here, but the more rod builders that stop using Mud Hole as a supplier the sooner they will come back down to earth. There are a lot of other sources out there.

Alcohol Torches are not that expensive and most suppliers have them, you shouldn't have a problem getting one on line or at some of the better tackle shops.

Bryan Young

I've used a shot glass with alcohol instead of an alcohol lamp when I just started...but that glass got freakin hot.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sundaytrucka

Thanks for the detailed tutorial Jon, will help me a lot in the future.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

bluefish69

Jon

I have a few older rods that are finished with Varnish. Do you happen to have any? I know Mudhole has it & clean up is with water. I am in N.Y. so I can't get the rods to you.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Jon Vadney

Quote from: bluefish69 on December 07, 2014, 05:05:19 AM
Jon

I have a few older rods that are finished with Varnish. Do you happen to have any? I know Mudhole has it & clean up is with water. I am in N.Y. so I can't get the rods to you.

Mike

Hey Mike, unfortunately I do not stock the varnish.  There is very little demand for it anymore except for refurbishing and traditional cane fly rods. 

thorhammer

RE rod varnish: i just recently refurbished an old surfer for a friend, wood handle, cork fore, spiral wire guides held on by duct tape later covered with electrical tape (not kidding). ordered the varnish from Mudhole to stay period correct.....I HAVE TO REDO WHOLE ROD due to crappy leveling and air that would not release. I would tell you the name but i threw the remaining 3.5 ounces in the trash. i'm gonna redo it this weekend...probably 400 grit down to 000 wool and then three coats of gloss rattle can poly on the blank. Wraps: thinking about how to go low build with what i have on hand but will probably just hit the wraps with thread sealer (i'm using NCP thread but anyway) and see if one thin coat of flex coat high build will work on top of that to level. i wish I had taken pics of the crappy wood, cork and tape before i stripped it but i'll post a pic of the finished product and you be the judge. My guess is that this is a 1950's Harnell I'm doing based on the root beer blank.

Jon's guidance is great and had me LMAO as I read it; I certainly have FF'd a finish thinking it was set only to leave an FBI-dream fingerprint in it....at least i washed off the cheeto dust first....

Reel 224

Here are a few pictures of a rehab I am doing on an old rod similar to the one you are describing. This rod had a furl connecting the two halves, but I am changing it to a one piece by center boring the wood butt handle to except a 7/16" birch dowel that will insert into the blank and the butt, then installing a reel seat over the connection giving it double support. After that I am installing a tapered EVA fore grip. I'm not concerned with keeping this rod period correct rather I'm trying to improve it,s appearance and action. It's going to be interesting to see how it works for inshore fishing, and since the rod is mine and would have been a throw away I felt it would be a great way to see if it could be an option for other older rod repairs or upgrades.

Something just occurred to me about the finish you are looking for on that wood Butt Handle. I use a oil finish on gun stocks after checkering them that would look very nice on the wood butt handle, you can purchase it from Brownells on line. www.brownells.com Try it I think you will be very pleased with the results.