My way of applying rod finish - How To

Started by Jon Vadney, December 01, 2014, 08:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt

Just found this site and Mr. John's Rod crafting thread.
Regarding the epoxy finish. Instead of a flame I just use a hair dryer. The heat is more then adequate and no worries about burning anything. I always heat up the wrap first for about 30 seconds. This expands the air in the wrap and forces it out so when the epoxy is applied it cools the wrap and is sucked down into the threads. This also prevents bubbles in the finish. Contrary to popular thought the air bubbles that wreck your finish originate from the air in the threads not from the epoxy. Some small  bubbles can originate in the epoxy but when heated after application they are all eliminated. It's those bubbles that appear in your finish after 20 min. in the dryer that pre-heating the wrap eliminates. As John has mentioned a dust free wrap is important. I always use a vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment to vacuum clean the wraps and then go over them with the sticky side of that blue painters tape to remove any stubborn particles. This is particularly important with dark colored wraps that showcase any particle that will cling to the wrap. And don't worry about stirring up dust, just be careful and always aim the dryer up into the rod not down to the rod and blow up all the debris  on your work bench.
Like John says there are a zillion ways to apply the epoxy. The above are some technique you may want to try.
My ...37 cents worth for your consideration.
Walt