Can I convert a S332-5 to a 322 Narrow with Tiburon P21 Frame and Spool?

Started by gallegn, December 01, 2014, 10:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallegn

Hi all,
My off-shore season is officially done for SoCal so I'm into maintenance, cleaning, and tinkering mode.  I have a S332-5 that I rebuilt with a Tiburon Frame, Bryan Young drag stack, bite bearing cap, aluminum star, and power handle.  It was a blast landing some 20-30 lb yellowfin on this year. 

After running straight mono all year, I'm planning on putting braid backing on the spool and I wanted to know if it's possible to use the Tiburon P21 Frame and Aluminum spool for a 322 to convert my 332 to a narrow?  I didn't need the extra spool capacity with the drag upgrade so I think a Narrow would become my new work horse. 

I've never had the pleasure of seeing or working with a 322 so I'm not sure if it's the same size as a 332.  Will the frame holes match up, and will the Tiburon spool work with the S332-5 side plates?  I looked into finding a 322, but they are outrageously expensive, and I would just end up rebuilding the whole thing anyways.  Also, I'm unclear if the Tiburon spools will work with the S332 or do they need any modification.  I read another post where someone said they did this conversion, but he went through 3 Tiburon spools until they sent one that didn't rub on the side plates.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Tunacious

All the 300 Newell models will align properly with the Tib frame though I don't believe the models with the pass thru screws will work. You'll need to re-work that – see below link. The only difference between the Newell 300 models is the width (same logic applies with 2/4/5/6 models).

I only fish the older P/NL series Newells with Newell aluminum spools and Tib frames and there's no issues with the Newell rings. Therefore, I don't know about alignment issues between the Tib 322 spool and the Newell S series rings. I recall the post you're talking about (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12052.0). See bottom of post re screw pass thru models, inner rings and purchase of new screws and Tib spool.

I'd recommend contacting Rich at Tiburon and/or Greg Chow at his ebay store...he sells the Tib merchandise via ebay. They can set you straight regarding your S series rings aligning properly with the Tib spool or any potential mods.

rich@tiburonengineering.com

chowderpuff7@yahoo.com

Newell Nut

The long body screw models will work just fine. Just need a little round file on some of the SS ring holes. I have installed them easily.

Robert S

Greg,

To add on to what Tunacious and Newell Nut have said.  I'm converting one of my S332-5 reels to a 322 with the Tiburon frame. The original S332 reel has the pass through screws as said. You will need to open up the screw holes on the threaded inner ring as said and you will need some extra 5-40 screws to make it all work. The screws used for holding the inner rings to the frame have fillister heads. The side plate screws are oval head 5-40 screws which I used the flat top screws. The Tiburon frame does not include these screws which is a bummer. I'm also adding a drag stack from Bryan Young and a 3/0 handle kit from Alan Tani for this reel. My spool and inner ring screws came from a parted out 322M. I'm not done with the reel as of today. I'll head to the garage and try to snap some photos of the frame set up and post them.

Robert

Robert S

I attached some photos of where I'm at. Drags and handle to be added later.

My inner rings had some slight contact with the spool. I used masking tape on the frame to protect it from scratches while I lightly sand the rings to make sure the spool has just enough clearance.

The screws I'm holding are original Newell on the left and alternate stainless screw on the right.

I pulled an inner ring mounting screw out to show the profile of the fillister head.

Hopefully all this helps you or any one else. If you have any questions about my build, I'll be happy to help. I will be offline (travel) until Sunday.

Robert

Robert S

Forgot to mention that I bought a 5-40 thread die. When I cut any screws to length, I'll have the die to fix the threads.

Newell Nut

If you buy from Gregg Chow he will send you screws. If you buy the kit elsewhere and don't get screws just let me know. I have a good supply of Newell screws that I can send to you.

Robert S

QuoteIf you buy from Gregg Chow he will send you screws.

This kit was a pain in the butt. My next kit is coming from Greg Chow! Thanks for that good info. At least now I am set up to replace damaged screws.

Robert

Newell Nut

The good side of a pain in the butt project is that you learn stuff.

gallegn

Awesome guys.  Thanks for all the advice.  This will save me a lot of headaches.  I'm looking forward to the rebuild.  It will be like getting a brand new reel.