Braid directly to a Penn TRQ25N, Tape or no tape

Started by AEM, December 07, 2014, 05:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AEM

Just picked up a TRQ25N with the knurl on the spool arbor. Does anyone have experience with tying spectra directly to the spool or should I use the standard tape first method.
Thank for the input.
AEM

wallacewt

like anything fishing,you can get a dozen answers and they all maybe correct.me personally
i wax the spool ,tie the braid directly to the spool, wind on under approx; 6lb of pressure
no matter what the reel and thats it.never had it slip
to top 100m is always loose anyhow from fishing.
cheers

AEM

Thanks for the input. Wax is not a method I have tried but I have seen was on some old penn reels when I pulled the Dacron line. What type of wax are you using.

alantani

i like flex wrap, but black electrical tape works for ne as well. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Unless the spool has a rubber ring on it I either use flexwrap  (vetwrap) or splice a section of Dacron on the Spectra.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

AEM

Alan and Keta thanks for the info. On the TRQ25 Penn states that you can tie spectra directly to the knurl on the arbor but I have not talked to anyone who had tried it so I did an experiment. I have a short spool of 40lb power pro and tied it directly to the  knurl on the arbor using a simple arbor knot. I first took a wet rag and washed down the first 20 ft then installed about 100 yds. I marked the spool to the frame with a yellow wax pencil and put tape on the line equal to the cross bar. I tied the line to my vise and with the reel locked down gave several pulls. Four times I broke 40 lb sprecta and it never spun on the reel. I then then unloaded it and retied it but this time not on the knurl and when I pulled the line spun on the arbor. So I think it will work but the key is to make sure you get the knot securely on the knurl and not on the smooth part of the arbor. To be safe though I am going to tape the arbor.
Thanks AEM

SoCalAngler

Good point AEM about the placement of the spectra on those spools. I like others use FlexxWrapp or the less costly stuff Keta was talking about. Why? Because what was the way I was taught and those tapes don't hold water and don't breakdown easily or leave a gooey mess on the spool.

With that said I have reels that have smooth spools without any tape on them and the spectra holds fine without spinning. What I do is wrap the spool twice with the spectra, starting with the wraps going from the top of the spool wrapping under the bottom. Once you have two wraps starting from the top of the spool and finishing at the bottom I tie a San Diego knot from the line off the bottom of the spool onto the main line, the line that will be going out to the fish. What this does is the the spectra knot will slip up the line grabbing the two traps around the spool tighter with the more pressure applied. The more tension on the two lines wrapped around the spools arbor the tighter the spectra grips the spool.

michaelc

Ten wraps on the spool and pull the knot up tight.  I have not used backing for a long time now and really like the simplicity of one knot.  I spool up quite tight and have never had any line slippage what so ever.     

Tiddlerbasher

Flexrap (or any other silicone self-fusing tape) - Arbor knot with 4 wraps - leave a long tag end (it will be trapped when the line goes on) :)

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: alantani on December 07, 2014, 10:20:40 PM
i like flex wrap, but black electrical tape works for ne as well. 

Where would be a good plan to acquire the flex wrap. I have always used mono backing but looking into doing this.

Keta

Tackle stores in SoCal usually have it but you can get it at vet supply/feed stores (Vet Wrap) or places like Big 5
(Sports Wrap).

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

conchydong

I follow Jerry Browns recommendations and leave a little tag end and lay the tag along the arbor and take some wraps over it. So far it has worked out great and that is with a waxed spool.

coastal_dan

Great to know, I always used mono backing and never really like the idea of the transition to mono if my braid got low. 

Not to hijack, but would you guys say this applies to spinning gear spools as well?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Keta

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I use Coban.  I think it's the same as flexwrap.  I recycle and reuse for my reels.  the Coban comes from the wrap when I give blood...no blood on the coban, only on the gauze where the puncture was.  works like a charm.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D