Trinidad 14 gold casting control

Started by surfboy, December 08, 2014, 08:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfboy

Hi. My first posting. I have had the privilege of reading and educating myself on the site for sometime now and have had the benefit of a wealth of knowledge and fixes. My thanks to all you gurus!
I am scaling down, going lighter, fishing 10', 11'- 12' and 12'6" slim light rods for edibles. I have a Torium 14, Daiwa X30 and SL20 reels. I managed to buy a Trinidad 14 gold, which I have always coveted. The reel has never been out of its box and has been sitting in its box in a cupboard for the last 2-3 years. Before I spool it up and get ready to fish, I wanted to clean up the factory grease on the spool bearings, re-lubricate and get it spinning properly. I notice there has a 6 break block on the right hand of the spool, which I understand, as it is similar to the Torium 14. There is a clicker dial on the left plate. I assume this is a mag casting control? I have never used anything but my thumb so far, but magnetic control seems to make allot of sense....if one can set the sensitivity. I envisage using the reel on a 12'6", oval, sensation blank rated 5-7 oz. Line will be extreme abrasive Double X 0.34 with a 0.50 casting leader.
My question is when I look at how the spool spins (left hand of spool), the fixed white nylon sprocket on the shaft on the spool spins a pin mounted white nylon idler sprocket, which is, mounted next to the internal workings of the mag clicker button......but although the idler sprocket is right next to the mag assembly and its own black sprocket, they are not in contact. So why when casting, have the spool turn the idler sprocket in the first place? My feeling is to do away with this to allow the spool more uninhibited spin? If I need cast control, I can possibly rely on my thumb and maybe consider "activating" a few brake blocks on the right hand side of the spool?

Maybe I am being stupid.....but I would like to understand how the mag clicker mechanism works. I thought these controls work on magnetic pull and resistance depending on distance of the magnet/s and I cannot understand why the free flowing casting spool.....actually mechanically drives a subsidiary sprocket? I would appreciate if anyone can assist?   

handi2

The clicker dial on the left hand side is to adjust the tension on the clicker itself. It it used for live bait fishing when the reel is in freespool and the clicker engaged.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

The white idler gear is only used when the clicker is on and as Handi2 indicated, adjusts the free spool tension for live bait fishing only when the clicker is engaged.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

surfboy

Ok.........silly me......quite right....when I engage the clicker, the idler moves/slides across to engage on the tensioner, which can be set. I have spoken to many, many people, and nobody could tell me that.

So casting control will be either my thumb, higher viscosity lubrication on the spool bearings or the centrifugal brake blocks on the right side of the spool......or........ ;D look at asking someone to mag the reel.....but I'm not quite there yet.

Many thanks......and great forum.....will continue to read avidly and contribute where appropriate.

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on December 08, 2014, 08:36:34 PM
The clicker dial on the left hand side is to adjust the tension on the clicker itself. It it used for live bait fishing when the reel is in freespool and the clicker engaged.

LOL

I have always thugh the dial control was a magnetism control cap, silly me. I even cut the nylon gear for more casting distance when it has nothing to do with it.

time to look for a spare of that small nylon gear  ;D

The Baja Guy

Fish-aholic

Quote from: steelfish on August 26, 2015, 07:13:03 PM

LOL

I have always thugh the dial control was a magnetism control cap, silly me. I even cut the nylon gear for more casting distance when it has nothing to do with it.

time to look for a spare of that small nylon gear  ;D

You're incorrect with that thought. The two mating nylon gears on the left side of the reel is a friction point and hampers freespool because they are constantly entwined. By turning the nylon gear situated on the left side of the spool into a bushing, you remove this friction point and achieve an instant increase in spool spin times. If you wanted better freespool, you did the correct modification.  ;)

steelfish

Quote from: Fish-aholic on August 27, 2015, 05:37:17 PM
Quote from: steelfish on August 26, 2015, 07:13:03 PM

LOL

time to look for a spare of that small nylon gear  ;D

You're incorrect with that thought. The two mating nylon gears on the left side of the reel is a friction point and hampers freespool because they are constantly entwined. By turning the nylon gear situated on the left side of the spool into a bushing, you remove this friction point and achieve an instant increase in spool spin times. If you wanted better freespool, you did the correct modification.  ;)

After reading your comment and double thinking on it, you are right, thacks for enlighten me on this.
at least I knew, it wasnt a mag control like I though it was

Like I said before.... everyday I learn something new here.
The Baja Guy