Black Pearl 3.6 gears

Started by Newell Nut, December 08, 2014, 10:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

The long wait is now over. Alan was concerned that the hardness of the 416SS on both the pinion and gear would feel rough but that is not the case. The machining is excellent and the fit is perfect. I looked at them with a 20x magnifier along side the Newell gear and see no difference in finish. They look great. Spinning the handle revealed a very quiet and very smooth gear set. Alan has hit a homerun with the first attempt at making Newell gears. He also had a set of my 5 speed gears for his manufacturer to measure and he may make some of those in the future..

I made several runs across the yard while hooked up to a dumbbell and everything worked great. I did not have a heavy rod available for a big dumbbell lift but I don't think it is necessary. The on the water test will begin when the weather breaks and I will take a look at a set of them after 6 months of hard fishing by Captain Al. I installed the first set in a 447 and the next set will go in another 447. I will also install two sets in 332s for my wife.

These gears should last the life of any reel they go in.

MarkT

Nice.  I have a ProGear 540 with their 3.6:1 gears.  I won't be alone anymore.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

maxpowers

Thank you for making the set available for me Dwight.  I have it in my P338.  Can't wait to use on live bait and fishing irons.  I can spin the handle at a comfortable speed now instead of having to slow down using the 5:1 gears.

Newell Nut

Thanks to Alan for making all this happen.

Just installed another set on a 447 and it is also smooth and quiet as the first. For those that have not seen the Newell 3.6 gear set it is made different from the 5 to 1 set. Carl changed the diameter of the pinion and gear and made them with larger teeth and there is no doubt that they can carry a heavy load when needed so don't break a rod trying to see what they can lift. Just fish hard and have fun.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Alan has put some great products out!! Just got the Newell 5:1 and jigmaster 4:1 in both are masterful!

Black Pearl

I will have this 3.6:1 gear in couple weeks.

PacRat

Black Pearl

Rancanfish

Can I ask a dumb question?  Are these jigmaster or 113h applicable? 

Sorry, I missed this thread discussion apparently.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Rancanfish on July 09, 2016, 02:30:10 AM
Can I ask a dumb question?  Are these jigmaster or 113h applicable? 

Sorry, I missed this thread discussion apparently.

I would say that it would fit Jigmaster 505/506, but I will send a set to Sal to check.

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Newell Nut

Alan finally got a new batch of these great gears made. If you want to increase the power of a 300 or 400 series then get them while they last. It is the perfect gear for me on a 300 series and I have fished them hard and love them.
Dwight