Help identify 12T drag

Started by David Hall, December 12, 2014, 06:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

I have a 12T with CS 2 speed conversion.  Decided it was time to crack it open.  First thing I noticed is it looks like it hasn't been serviced since it was converted.  On the bright side everything does have grease on it.  I cleaned and serviced the left side plate, clicker, and cleaned and packed the bearing with grease,  turned my attention to the spool and here's what I am finding. 

David Hall

There is no washer just this one piece plate with thick fiber that engages the milled out face on the spool end.
Don't know how or if this can be serviced or if it's time to upgrade this to the penn dura drag?
Any and all advise or direction is appreciated.
 In the meantime I opened up the spool bearings, cleaned and lubed them.  They seem okay no rough spots.
Lubed em with speedX and left em open.
Here's the shaft with belvilles ()()

David Hall

Okay I can admit I don't know a thing about this reel!  I went back and reviewed the schematics and noticed the two nylon plugs on the spool.  Pried them off and found the eared washer that I thought wasn't there.

David Hall

Don't know what the sticky white substance is exactly but I think it might be some old old grease?
What do I do with this drag system?
Replace it?
Clean grease and put it back?

Tightlines667

Personally, I would recommend an upgrade to the DuraDrag in this case.   It's worth it for the $24.  Check the metal gear drum washer (metal drag disc) to make sure there is no noticable groves or marring present (if so replace it too).  You might grab another drag spring, and Bellevilles too.  Maybe check your pinion bearing for roughness, the under gear washer and see if you need to shim under the main gear (any lateral play here?), clicker pawl, dog, and dog spring while your at it.  Or just clean it up, give it the AT treatment, and call it good.  Looks like it's in pretty good shape overall.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

Tightlines:
Thanks for that info, I ordered the dura drag  bearings, belvilles, springs and misc screws for the reel this morning from Scotts.
I am curious if you are familiar with the Cal sheets conversion setup?  in particular it seems that in normal high gear the anti reverse dog is clicking away normally when the crank is turned, however in high gear there does not seem to be any anti reverse, no dog engaging when the crank is turned and the crank turns just as freely in either direction?  I think if low speed gear was engaged under battle conditions its going to become an instant knuckle buster.
Seems odd, and likely something is not set up right.
Any ideas?

Tightlines667

Pictures would help here (if the 2-speed shift mech., main drive gears, Antireverse gear, engaged dog).  I am not familiar with the cal 2-speed conversion setup myself, but it seems to me that the dog should always be engaged with tue ratchet that is attached to the drive shaft.  This drive shaft will either be in gaged with the high or low speed main gear at all times, and thus the Antireverse should always work.  If not, something might be amiss?  I would guess the original drive shaft and corresponding bridge with integral drive shaft holder was upgraded/replaced with the 2-speed version, and obviously your pinion had also been replaced.  Maybe the left side plate was replaced as well if it was needed to accommodate the increased space required for 2 gear sets.  Pics would help here.  Sounds like your on your way to a good and complete reel service.
Hope springs eternal

David Hall

I reassembled the reel and bravo, the anti reverse works in both low and high speed. I believe this system is identical to the Penn factory 2 speed design.  cals machines a R side plate to accomodate the extra thickness of the second gear.  This is only done for the 12 and one other series.  All other cal conversions utilize a spacer between the frame and the factory right side plate.
I wanted to see what kind of drag I am getting from the original setup.  I should have checked it before tearing into the reel so I would have something to compare but since I didn't I can only check it now.
I didn't use a scale since the drag pressure is so low I can easily pull line at full drag with the preset knob fully tightened.  I'm guessing it's between 4-6 lbs. with dry old style drag and belvilles in stock configuration.

When my new drag plate arrives with new belvilles I will see what kind of drag pressure I can get playing around then.

Tightlines667

Glad you got it sorted out.  I'm guessing you could increase your max drag by about 15-30% with the dura drag upgrade, but more importantly it will be much smoother and consistent where you will be fishing it.  The new Bellevilles should also smooth out your drag curve a bit so it's more linear, which in my opinion is important in these smaller class reels.  Remember not to fish the reel past the max effective drag setting which is the point where you loose freespool when turning the preset in.  Prob will be 6-8lbs with new drag, maybe a bit more.  Keep us posted on the progress once your parts arrive.
Hope springs eternal

alantani

This was an old smoothie drag. I have one in the garage somewhere. Swing by the house when the parts arrive and let's take a look.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

Thanks Alan will do.  I put your brass back in my truck figuring I would see you soon.

alantani

i'm home tuesday, hopefully fishing on wednesday!

David Hall

I will be busy with my state engineer on Tuesday and Wednesday, Hows Thursday or Friday for you?

alantani

shoot for sunday, or after the new year.  starting to get busy again, but i should be home on sunday. 

David Hall

i should have the new drag plate and washers by the end of the week.  I'll shoot you a text Sunday see what the holidays and family affairs have in store for us.  May have to wait until after the new year.