Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

I stick with old stuff because I understand it. New stuff baffles me.

Shark Hunter

Me too. that's why I drive this old Truck. Plus, it gets 25MPG. My 2008 gets 16.
Life is Good!

txangler81

I had an s10 like that once it had a tbi 350 with a big cam and a 700r4 transmission it would fly.  ;D
Dustin

Shark Hunter

I came across this picture today Mike of Mr. Henze. I think this was circa 1932.
Life is Good!

Superhook

Daron,

I do not see Otto in the photo and the cars are from the 40's . Could be after Otto passed away in 1949 .

Ray

Shark Hunter

Ray,
I just did a search on Yahoo of Otto Henze on. This one popped up. I don't see how you can tell that one of those gentleman was not him.
Life is Good!

Superhook

Daron,

The only definite images of Otto i have seen are in Mike's book.  The building in your photo was the one that Penn moved to in 1942. I don't see Otto in the photo. I have seen a few photos of Martha with a teenage lad very close by and i would presume it is a family member ( son  Herbert? ) Otto may have taken the photo in 1942 ? Hopefully Mike will shed some more light when he finishes work.

Ray

ps - Could the gentleman on the left be Otto?

Penn Chronology

All the building photos you guys have posted are of the Hunting Park Ave., location (moved into during WW II). The photo that Daron posted is probably during the war and may have Otto standing next to Martha (Very hard to tell).

Ray, your photo is later, probably in the 1950's after Otto has passed. Martha is pictured with two of the company officers, neither is Otto or John Egly. Photos of Otto are rare but do pop in the catalogs. There are a few photos of the famous Tuna trip where Otto was lost at sea overnight (page 55 of my book).

Shark Hunter

Mr. Henze came to this country in the 1920's. I believe my photo is authentic. It really doesn't matter. I was just trying to contribute.
Martha carried on the tradition, and I love her for it! :-*
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I love these old nostalgic historic photos...keep 'em coming.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Superhook

Martha and teenager -left front. Everyone is looking at the camera except the gentleman with the hat and fishing rod who is looking in Martha's direction.....Otto ?

I can recall a sale of about 50 old Penn Company photos that were for sale individually in Lang's Store online listing in about 2008. One young feller bought about 20 but since sold them. I have not seen or heard about them since.

Penn Chronology

QuoteMr. Henze came to this country in the 1920's. I believe my photo is authentic. It really doesn't matter. I was just trying to contribute.
Martha carried on the tradition, and I love her for it! Kiss

Daron,

You are 100% correct and your photo is most definitely authentic.

QuoteMartha and teenager -left front. Everyone is looking at the camera except the gentleman with the hat and fishing rod who is looking in Martha's direction.....Otto ?

Ray, your photo is a capture from the 1940's and may have the whole family in the picture with the employees. Otto always wanted his employees to fish as well as build reels. So this is more than likely a picture of an employee fishing trip. Tough Job, eh???
               I have sent this picture to someone that may be able to verify the people in the picture that we are talking about. Worth a shot anyways.

Maxed Out

Ha ha, the man in the middle with the rod appears to be giving the teenager the "evil eye".....just coincidentally, they are the only 2 people in the picture that are not grinning. Yep, my vote is father & son.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

I call this photo,    FIND MARTHA!.........

Alto Mare

Nice photos Mike...keep them coming.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.