Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USN_ED

I used the old main gear and old bridge and sleeve.  I will; however, keep the new bronze main gear along with the new bridge with sleeve.  I always save parts.  Thanks for the vinegar tip - I'll give it a go in the future.
ED

Rancanfish

Good work Ed.

I noticed that steel gear right away too.  Glad you decided to use it.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bill B

I got this 268 in a package deal, but have to admit I do not know much about the  Long Beach series, except it is an old line of reels and extremely varied.  After researching this newer rendition of the LB, came away much impressed, it has a faster retrieve (2.5:1) and same drags as the 113 4/0 (black) Senator and capacity between the 113 4/0 and the 114 6/0 Senator.....with a half frame and aluminum spool this is a work horse..... Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Ron Jones

The best I can tell, the 268 is a 113 with different side plates. I think the handles and gears are different also. Well, I guess that has always been the difference between the 68 and 113W. I haven't come across one but they look neat.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

That 268 is an interesting reel, I see a top post is used on it. I'd like to see a few more pics if you could Bill.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bill B

Mo, I'm out of town at the moment but will post more on Wednesday....Bill

coastal_dan

I've always been intrigued by the 267 and the 268.  Quite interesting reels with a lot of possibilities.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

mo65

Thanks Bill. In the meantime...I just have to show off this mint Long Beach 60 with non-numbered parts...a gift from Ted.(Maxed Out) Where does he find these jewels?? I took it apart to clean and lube the internals, now they are as immaculate as the outside. I'll cherish this one for sure.

thorhammer

WOW. Ted is a super technical resource, technician and all-around stand-up guy. That piece is fantastic; the amber knobs are my favorite vintage color.

John

USN_ED

That 60 is a "Primo" reel MO !!!!  Very nice.
ED

Penn Chronology

Beautiful Long Beach.

There is something haunted about Ted's reels. They have the Dorian Gray effect. In Ted's attic there is an ugly picture of each Penn model, every time he restores a reel, that attic picture of that model gets a little worse.  ??? :-X

mo65

Quote from: Penn Chronology on October 21, 2016, 04:46:46 PM
There is something haunted about Ted's reels. They have the Dorian Gray effect. In Ted's attic there is an ugly picture of each Penn model, every time he restores a reel, that attic picture of that model gets a little worse.  ??? :-X

I FOUND IT!! The Dorian Gray photo...hee hee! ;) :D ;D 8)

Tightlines667

Quote from: mo65 on October 21, 2016, 05:58:54 PM
Quote from: Penn Chronology on October 21, 2016, 04:46:46 PM

I FOUND IT!! The Dorian Gray photo...hee hee! ;) :D ;D 8)

Lol..

;D ;D ;D ;D

Love it.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bill B

I was thinking more of Pirates of the Caribbean...BootStrap Bill    :o

thorhammer

Bill just needs a bearing and Carbontex