Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Early 66 models were the first large Long Beach models and in their first year had plain sides. In a year or so of regular production all the large Long Beach models had picture plates. Plain and picture plates could be used on an of the 66, 67 or 68 models since all the tail plates are interchangeable.

George4741

I recently added two more Long Beach 60's to my modest collection.  Thanks guys, you are a bad influence ;).  

On the first reel the original spool is broken, so, I temporarily replaced it with an extra that I had lying around.  If I'm not able to find a correct replacement spool I will glue the original one together.  I believe all of the parts are correct/original since they are not numbered.

The tail plate has the common fisherman scene.

I think the reel foot with the rod clamp makes this 60 unusual.  I've seen photos of only a handful of these.

The second reel also appears to be all original.  The reel foot is stamped "250 YDS".  I haven't removed the line or cleaned it up, so, no telling what I'll find.

This is the head plate.

The plain tail plate has a waffle clicker.  

Even after gentle cleaning, most of my Long Beaches show a loss of chrome, pitting, and wear and I'm leaving them that way.  They remind me of me; old and grizzled but they still work.
Long Live the Long Beach
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

I also bought two more last week. The Long Beach Variations go on and on.
Life is Good!

George4741

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 30, 2016, 12:51:23 AM
The Long Beach Variations go on and on.

Yes, and Michael got me hooked on them when he started this post.   
viurem lliures o morirem

mo65

Well...reading this thread too many times has resulted in my getting a pre-war Long Beach...so I guess I'm hooked. :D By using Mike's book to ID that pear shaped resin knob, I believe it's a '38 model.
I took her apart and the internals were a mess! Dried up grease from '38...sand...and one drag washer replaced with a#4-60 hard fiber spacer! :o I de-greased and cleaned all parts, re-greased the gears/yoke/eccentric, oiled the dog and bearings, installed a leather drag washer to match the other two, and all functions are slick as a ribbon.
On the outside the previous owner had already removed most of the grime...but I still gave all metal parts a vinegar soak to remove trace corrosion and stop any further action. There was one big drip of some sort on the face plate as seen in the first pic. It was stuck like chuck...and I thought for a few minutes it was going to be permenant. :'( After some picking with my thumbnail (an excellent non-scratching tool) I finally got whatever it was off there.
The other three photos show what I ended up with. I put the old linen line back on after reassembly, I think it looks cool. This reel wears her "genuine character" very well. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteWell...reading this thread too many times has resulted in my getting a pre-war Long Beach...so I guess I'm hooked. Cheesy By using Mike's book to ID that pear shaped resin knob, I believe it's a '38 model.

Glad to hear you are hooked. The more the merrier. Your vintage Long Beach find is interesting. As with many older Penn reels, identification seems to always bring variance. The Long Beach you found most definitely has a 1938 handle, what is curious is your reel has a 1939 logo. A 1938 and earlier Long Beach should have the early, double bar logo. The logo on your reel is a 1939 and after logo.

I would guess a late 1938 reel or a very early 1939 reel. Whenever this reel left the factory, it just goes to show that every time you think you know how Penn built their reels, one comes along that proves you wrong.

George4741

Mo, I've seen this reel somewhere before. ;)  I'm glad it ended up in good hands.  It cleaned up nicely, too.

Long Live the Long Beach,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

RowdyW

Joe, the easiest way to find out whats available for Penn reels is to log on to Scott's parts list for the reel you are looking for. It will tell you what is available & what is not. Also check fleabay.

Penn Chronology

Joe, I will be curious to know if the modern trim rings fit the vintage plates. Sometimes they do and sometimes they do not. The only to know is to try the fit. Thanks!

sdlehr

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 17, 2016, 04:28:38 PM
Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 17, 2016, 04:20:30 PM
Joe, I will be curious to know if the modern trim rings fit the vintage plates. Sometimes they do and sometimes they do not. The only to know is to try the fit. Thanks!

I will certainly let you know, and if I have to fit them I tell what I did.

Joe
We know the fix if the rings are too small, I'm interested in what you might come up with if they are too large.... OTOH, they would have to be considerably too large to be too large (if you know what I mean), so that may not be an issue....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

All that new chrome and a crusty handle. Come on Joe finish it.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Nicely done Joe! that handle kills!!! I cannot resist picking up LB's; my first saltwater reel was a 60 on a montague rod in the 70's. Sooner or later I will get them together for pics.

John

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

thorhammer

Ted would probably know if anyone. My first frankenpenn ten years ago before I knew there was such a niche was a 65 Wide: 65 plates, 112 spool; 30-200 stand and jigmaster posts. Didn't play with guts though.