Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote

Does anyone know if the Long Beach can be upgraded to a higher gear ratio then the 2-1, and is any reels gears interchangeable with the Long Beach?

I do not believe so. You would need to make the pinion gear smaller and I believe that would cause a problem with the fit of the spool. A Penn Senator 1/0 uses a Long Beach main gear and has a 3 to 1 gear ratio (50% faster than  Long Beach 60); but, it uses a 140 pinion gear, which would never work with a Long Beach spool.

If you went back into the 1930's, there may be interchanges that could be done to speed up a Long Beach; but, since there are no part numbers available for those years, I think you would have to do a physical breakdown of the reels. Then interchange the gears sets until a faster ratio is accomplished or not.

Much easier to just go get a Jigmaster................ ;D

George4741

When the diameter of the pinion gear is reduced, then the main gear must be enlarged.  There's not a lot of room in the Long Beach sideplate for a larger diameter main gear.

One of the few (if not the only) reels Penn made where gear ratios could be readily changed is the 349/349H.  The 349 is a 2.3:1 ratio and the 349H is 3.25:1.  They use the same head plate and the recessed area for the gears is enlarged accordingly to allow this.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Stephanovich

I found this Long Beach 60 in a dumpster at a marina in San Pedro, CA. It looks exactly like George4741's posting back on page 13 (his was a 65 though) Pictured just as found, drags and everything else work well. Mottled side plates, plastic spool, no numbers. Very close to sdlehr's mottled 60 except a small difference in handle details. Based on what I've read here, probably made around 1949 or so?

Penn Chronology

Quotefound this Long Beach 60 in a dumpster at a marina in San Pedro, CA. It looks exactly like George4741's posting back on page 13 (his was a 65 though) Pictured just as found, drags and everything else work well. Mottled side plates, plastic spool, no numbers. Very close to sdlehr's mottled 60 except a small difference in handle details. Based on what I've read here, probably made around 1949 or so?

Model 60 L.S.------------------Made somewhere between 1941 and 1947, of course omitting the war years (1943, 44 & 45).The handle style, plastic spool and model number in the logo make it fairly easy to date to the war era.

I have pretty much the same reel (except for the size) for sale right now online;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331951118255?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

thorhammer

Quote from: Stephanovich on August 26, 2016, 07:30:50 PM
I found this Long Beach 60 in a dumpster at a marina in San Pedro, CA. It looks exactly like George4741's posting back on page 13 (his was a 65 though) Pictured just as found, drags and everything else work well. Mottled side plates, plastic spool, no numbers. Very close to sdlehr's mottled 60 except a small difference in handle details. Based on what I've read here, probably made around 1949 or so?

[/U

Dumpster for a Penn ????? 30 lashes with a wet ugly stick says I.   Sacrilege.

[URL=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Stephanovich/media/048.jpg.html]

Stephanovich

Thanks Mike C. for your response, based on your knowledge my Model 60 L.S. was made either 1941,1942,1946, or 1947. By coincidence, I was born in Long Beach (CA) in 1946!!

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks Mike C. for your response, based on your knowledge my Model 60 L.S. was made either 1941,1942,1946, or 1947. By coincidence, I was born in Long Beach (CA) in 1946!!

So you have a reel than can be dated to the year of your birth. You will never forget how old this reel is. Glad to help!

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote

Mike: Do you have any books left for sale? By the way I was born in 46 but on the east coast.

Yes Joe, I have some copies of the Blue book. Both books are available at the Whitefish Press.

http://www.whitefishpress.com/

I run a continuous listing on EBay for the Blue Book while my supplies last, no reasonable offer is refused.... ;) As soon as a listing ends. I place another listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331950262264?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

George4741

Quote from: Stephanovich on August 26, 2016, 07:30:50 PM

You have the nicer version of tailplate.  My tailplate is the plain one without the fisherman scene.  Do you plan on cleaning or restoring your reel?  If so, we would enjoy seeing the photos.

Long Live the Long Beach,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

thorhammer

What George said. Were me I'd put new metal on it.  That's a nice looking piece. 

John

Shark Hunter

That old Soldier needs brought back to life. I would dumpster dive for a reel of that quality and character any day of the week. ;D
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteI received my book on The Chronological History of Penn Reels By Michael Cacioppo today. Mike It's a great publication! I almost didn't want to open it for fear I was going to mess up the pages. It is thorough and very well written History of the early Penn reels. Thank you very much for authoring this book.

Thank you for the kind words Joe. Hope the book enhances your Penn hobby!

mo65

QuoteHope the book enhances your Penn hobby!

I've had my copy a week or two Joe...and I've read every page! I'll gar-0n-tee it will enhance your hobby! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

USN_ED

Picked up a 60 Long Beach the other day.  I was looking for a project and this one was outwardly pretty rough.

Seller's photo and as it was when received.

With the line stripped.  Not as bad as it looked in the above picture but a lot of corrosion on the spool.

Broke it down to the main three pieces and there wasn't much interior corrosion at all.

Since the spool was so corroded I went ahead and wire-brushed the spool not worrying about scratches.  Here it is with all the green grunge and corrosion removed.  Nothing to show now but pitted brass.  The spool is still sound though.

I broke the right side plate down and ordered a new bridge with sleeve along with a new fiber washer and a new main gear along with a set of PENN HT-100 drags and metal washers.  The old bridge with sleeve was in very good shape as was the main gear so I used them and installed the new fiber washer beneath the main gear and installed the new PENN HT-100 drag pack.

Here it is again all put together.  I ordered and got a new 29L-85 black, aluminum, spool, but decided not to use it and instead used the original spool - pitted as it was.  All of the pitting is very smooth and I lathered it with PENN grease, wiped it off and it's ready to go.  I did put a shiny, new, reel stand on it and I'm happy with the way it came out.  It'll make a nice user.  I'm thinking of using the 29L-85 spool on a PENN 85 I have.

All parts ordered from Scott's Bait and Tackle. Thanks for your help.

Thanks to Alan for his PENN 111 tutorial.
ED

RowdyW

Ed, it looks like a steel main gear which is tougher then the newer bronze one. Also next time that you have to remove green corrosion try soaking it in a bowl of white vinager for 15 minutes.     Rudy