Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

You guys are scaring me.  :D...I thought this was a "kid" friendly forum  ;D ;D

....oh, I forgot, I already scared everyone first by exposing what's in my attic....aka, bats in the belfry  ;) ;)

Nice reel Mo. The LB 60 will always be known as the prototype for every senator ever made. A 1936 9/0 (the first senator) is a long beach 60 blown up in size and added outer rings, rod clamp, & top post.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

This Long Beach I just have to show off. This one is a Long Beach "through the ages", an assembly of some of Penn's coolest LB parts. This build started with the unobtanium stand...an original upgrade accessory offered in the early '40s. I told Ted I was going to put together a sweet reel around it and I think I nailed it! The scarce mottled plates are late '40s/early '50s. The ss spool, rings, and posts are from the '60s-'80s. Last but not least, I used a Convertable handle from the '50s, another one of Penn's early upgrades. This one may be my new favorite 'Beach! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

STRIPER LOU

Very nice Mo and without a doubt it should be shown off. Its a beauty an unobtanium plus!

...............Lou

Penn Chronology

QuoteThis Long Beach I just have to show off. This one is a Long Beach "through the ages", an assembly of some of Penn's coolest LB parts. This build started with the unobtanium stand...an original upgrade accessory offered in the early 40s. I told Ted I was going to put together a sweet reel around it and I think I nailed it! The scarce mottled plates are late 40s/early 50s. The ss spool, rings, and posts are from the 60s. Last but not least, I used a Convertable handle from the 50s, another one of Penn's early upgrades. This one may be my new favorite 'Beach! Cool

Love what you did with this reel. Especially the mottled plates, that is the """"Piece De Resistance"""". This is fun aspect of Penn reels.

Great Job!!!!

Bill B

Outstanding Mo......that would manke anyone proud.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

festus

I don't think this Long Beach 68 is very old.  Leastways looking at the handle knob. 

Does anyone know when this newer type of handle was introduced?

Got this and a Long Beach 6-1/2' MH 20lb to 40lb rod in a trade for a couple of cheap pocketknives from a friend.  He never fished it, he found it at an auction.  There is one screw missing. 

thorhammer

I'm going to guess mid-late 90's, as it has rubber knob but not yet the 268 frame. very clean find though. I love these guys. just wish drags were bigger for all that line- the spool you have there holds 600 yards of 30 mono or better with today's thinner diameter.

1badf350

Can you guys tell me when the tailplate scenes were discontinued on the ling beach reels?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Swami805

That's a great question, when did they start putting them on too?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Quote from: 1badf350 on August 03, 2018, 12:30:50 PM
Can you guys tell me when the tailplate scenes were discontinued on the ling beach reels?

From what I've gathered...engraved tail plates on LBs started to disappear in the early '50s.

Quote from: Swami805 on August 03, 2018, 12:35:41 PM
That's a great question, when did they start putting them on too?

It looks like about 1938.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

1badf350

I fugure if anyone knew the answer it would be Mo! Thanks!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Tbrom

Just picked this up at a yard sale for $5 well my sister did for me. I will have it in hand in a couple of days.

Gfish

Pretty cool the way the dirt accents the tail-plate picture. I've seen a few where the picture is almost worn off the plate, that'n looks to be in great shape.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tbrom

Hard to tell the condition from pics. I figured for the price I couldn't go wrong. The chrome looks rough but the plate didn't look bad so I told her to get it.

Tbrom

The chrome is trashed. The plates are good and the handle is a nice color. I am happy for what it cost. I am guessing it's late 40s with no parts numbers the tail plate and handle designe.