Older/Expired Recall on Older Shimano Tiagra Plunger Holders?

Started by Tightlines667, December 14, 2014, 04:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I have came accross a number of the older 80 and 130 Tiagras that have had broken plunger holders (they hold the Alert Plunger/TT0749).  They are made of poorly cast metal and fail reguarily. I heard (from several people) there was a recall on these (TT0718)several years ago.  I have been upgrading any I find to the stainless steel ones.  

Some of the older plastic ones on the smaller WLRS models (30WLRS, 50WLRS).  I have come accross have also broken.  These get replaced with the newer (slightly softer) plastic retainers.  Many don't fail in the smaller reels though.  Too bad the new ones aren't stainless as well. I actually like the clicker design in the Tiagra's.  My only complaints here are typical:  it is a source for water intrusion, and the harder pawls wear the plates out somewhat quickly.

Does anyone have any more info/knowledge on these early Tiagra model recalls by Shimano?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

BTW, I just replaced these parts on a 30WLRS, a 50WLRS, and 2-130As.  Screws are not available for the 80s and 130s mounted from inside the drive plate as well, but there is a substitute part (different head type), that works fine. 
Hope springs eternal

alantani

hadn't heard of anything, but i agree that they should have been recalled!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Here is another case of a broken plunger holder.  This was off of a newer 30WLRS (which is plastic).  These clickers are good a loud, largely based on the nice heavy plunger (which is resistant to wear as well), but they should be housed in the strong Staonless Steel plunger holder like on the newer, larger Tiagras.  This is becomming a common theme for me.  Especially on charter boats that like to leave the clickers on all the time.  $10 part failure, and reel locks up or worse   Just thought I'd share.
Hope springs eternal