PENN PICTURE TAIL PLATES

Started by Penn Chronology, December 19, 2014, 03:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Would that non metal surface need greasing anyway?
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

RowdyW

Quote from: basto on December 15, 2018, 08:29:11 PM
It will help keeping moisture from being absorbed into the graphite plate to help keep it from swelling.      Rudy

sdlehr

Quote from: basto on December 15, 2018, 08:29:11 PM
Greasing that surface just makes cleanup that much easier next time when the dirt comes out with the old grease. Without the grease, the minerals can stick to the bakelite pretty well.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

broadway

Being that we know how to and regularly maintain our reels it really isn't necessary to do.  I only do it to my most used reels/wireline reels.
Good to know though,
Dom

1badf350

Same principle? LOL this was at Red Robin last night, I immediately thought of this thread.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

JoseCuervo

Quote from: 1badf350 on December 16, 2018, 08:54:48 PM
Same principle? LOL this was at Red Robin last night, I immediately thought of this thread.

Hopefully, not the same principle, to hold grease.  ;D

You see the jeweling fairly often if you know where to look for it; I have noticed it inside of the gear boxes / lockers on fire trucks (but like a 4 inch swirl, not 1/4"). I asked a friend of mine and he said it is commonly used just so scratches don't show up so easily. Polished metals are easily scratched, aluminum being a common culprit. Jeweling covers a lot of scratches fast as well.

AC49

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 18, 2018, 06:34:04 AM
QuoteIt would be interesting to me if you possibly new when this was done and if Penn did it themselves as I certainly didn't  Wink

It is an old machinist trick. I have seen on early Pflueger big game reels like the Atlapac. I always am surprised when I see on a Penn reel. Don't really know if they did it by hand or if it was molded in. I will ask. The people at Penn today sometimes surprise with their knowledge of old techniques. Can't hurt to ask.

Hi Mike did you ever get the opportunity to ask the people at Penn about the jeweling of the sideplates ? Maybe when this occurred ??
Thanks in advance.

AC49

lslandcrab

This is one of the harder to find plates. This one is on a 1939 Anglesea model.

please PM me if you ever wanted to part with this one

Shellbelly

Collecting those Penn side plates is its own adventure.  That one is really cool.  I've wondered why Penn didn't play more with all the space on their larger reels.  Imagine those graphics on a 16/0.

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)