Previous topic - Next topic

Upgrades to a penn Baja sp.

Upgrades
0 (0%)
parts
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

scottj

I just got myself a used Baja sp. its in great shape. I'd like to start by thanking member topshot for selling me the reel. Here is my question it has an upgraded handle on it but everything else is stock on the reel. I was wondering what my options are for upgrades on this reel any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your comments . Sorry I did not post pic. Of reel having trouble figuring out how to post here. thanks good luck all and happy holidays
scottj

akfish

In my opinion, there really isn't anything you need to do to that reel. If the bearings are good, it has outstanding free spool, and the drag is excellent. You might consider removing the spool bearing shields and lubing with TS 321, but this is necessary only if you fish small live bait. I fish mine stock and love it.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

BMITCH

Hey Scott, glad to see ya here. If you search under the penn senator threads you will see the Baja tutorial there. After the holidays we will tear into that bad boy. I opened all my bearings and TSI them. We can do that. NP. From what I can tell topshot did you a solid on that reel and can't wait to get a peek under the hood. I've never taken down a Baja before so it will be a learning for us both.
  I post my pictures through photobucket. I'm no expert on it so maybe someone here could lend you a hand with navigating it.
  Have a good trip and post a lot of pics.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

johndtuttle

Quote from: scottj on December 19, 2014, 01:51:52 PM
I just got myself a used Baja sp. its in great shape. I'd like to start by thanking member topshot for selling me the reel. Here is my question it has an upgraded handle on it but everything else is stock on the reel. I was wondering what my options are for upgrades on this reel any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your comments . Sorry I did not post pic. Of reel having trouble figuring out how to post here. thanks good luck all and happy holidays
scottj

Depending on how you fish it the handle can be just right (speed like for wahoo or yo-yo) or a little short (live bait, lite trolling, surface iron). So that might be an change to consider depending on your use.