Old penn 200

Started by Reel 224, December 19, 2014, 03:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

What can I do to my Penn 200 to Improve it's performance?
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Turn it into a 100.... ;D  Mine have SS gear sleeves, SS AR dogs, longer handle arms, Carbontex drag washers and aluminum spools.   The Surfmaster is a good reel as is too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

P-10 Tiburon frame. 5 stack drag, ss sleeve, dog and Aluminum spool. ;)
Life is Good!

Keta

I forgot the Tiburon P-16 frame on one of my 100's.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Doug

The best upgrades I have found are Alan's SS gear sleeve ,Bryan's 5+1 drag, Lees SS dog , a better handle and lastly Pro Challengers heavy spacing sleeve . I just did the spacing sleeves on my  surfmasters and am impressed . The sleeve takes out almost all handle slop and improves the feel keeps the gear train  in alinement under load. You can spend more money for a different frame and or change the size to a 150 or 100 . Doug

Reel 224

Okay now I got the answers on what can be done, since I'm not a reel expert can anyone show me just what they have done. I have the schematics for the reel and have been looking at the parts you mentioned. Is there an example of the new parts any ware on site?

Maybe some ware I could get the cost of these parts.$$$
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

SS Gear Sleeve ~ $23 shipped - Alan/Bryan
5+1 Drag Kit ~ $27 shipped - Bryan/Alan
SS Dog ~ $3 plus shipping - Lee/Alan/Bryan
SS Handle Arm ~ $13 plus shipping - Alan/Bryan
3/0 Handle ~ $27 plus shipping - Alan/Bryan
Pro Challenger Spacing Sleeve ~ $3.75 available at www.mkt.com/pro-challenger-llc
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

This is my only stickied post and it just happens to be on upgrading the 200. ;D
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9329.0
Then you turn them into this. ;) 100,150,200 and 250 Surfmasters.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

There are lots of info and pics on these, here is another that might be helpful:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6391.0
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Thank you guys now all I have to do is save some pennies for the items Bryan posted.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 19, 2014, 08:09:34 PM
Thank you guys now all I have to do is save some pennies for the items Bryan posted.
Good call, pennies fit perfectly in the 5-60 gears, make yourself some washers ;) ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

You may be joking but I have made washers out of pennies, and when I was in the service I made a ring out of a silver dollar using a spoon to shape it and then drilled out the center. ;D

I cleaned up the 200 last night just to get it prepared for the upgrade and I used the white vinegar to clean up the reel stand. It did a great job.

Bryan Young

Just please do not replace those Edison screw type fuses with a penny.  That is how houses burn down.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Reel 224

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 20, 2014, 03:29:55 PM
Just please do not replace those Edison screw type fuses with a penny.  That is how houses burn down.

Aluminum foil works much better....NOT!!!!!

Mark Twain