Coloured Penn Reels

Started by Superhook, December 20, 2014, 10:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Please excuse the interruption... I just looked at your website for the first time Brian and have to complement you on the great collection and photography.   Now returning to the thread......
-steve

George4741

Quote from: mo65 on June 21, 2017, 02:26:59 PM
Quote from: Penn Chronology on June 21, 2017, 05:29:55 AM
So far George got the first red Long Beach and then Brian got the second red Long Beach. Who is going to get the third red Long Beach?

Hey...hold on fellas...what about this LB on page three of this very thread?  8)

Quote from: Oceanreels on October 12, 2015, 07:43:02 PM

Mo, you are not playing fair!  How could we ever forget Brian's vintage LB.  Mine isn't even in the same league as his.

Long Live the Long Beach,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe red Penn Long Beach on page 3 is still in my collection. I just got notified that the one I got yesterday will ship today. From looking at the catalogs they don't indicate a Stainless Steel spool until No.38B, don't have a 37B. What year is the Number 38 catalog?  If someone has the No. 37 catalog could you see what spool they indicate the reel has?
Thanks for the help, Brian

The "B" type catalog do not run with the "A" type catalogs in the late 1970's. A 38B catalog is a 1982 issue, that is why it displays the SS Spool. There is no 37B catalog and the 36B catalog is a 1976 issue. The 38A catalog is a 1977 Issue and the spool would be a three piece chrome on brass spool as would the 38A catalog also.

broadway

Let's also not forget Brian's Red LB Deluxe... that's one of the sickest Penn reels ever made.
I have had a red non handle side plate for a couple of years just like the ones that were recently won, but I don't have the head plate. :-\
Very cool stuff,
Dom
PS- Mike, thanks for clarifying the confusing catalog situation.

Oceanreels

Mike, thanks for the info. What was the first year of the SS spool?
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, thanks for the info. What was the first year of the SS spool?

They started to mention Stainless Steel spools in the catalog text in the 1980 catalog; but, some of the pictures in the 1978 catalog look like Stainless steel spools. The 1978 text descriptions are still saying they are chrome plated brass. Around that time Penn was experimenting with a coup[le of different materials for spools. They were starting with the aluminum spool, still using the old style plastic and chrome on brass versions on some reels and trying out the stainless steel stuff. Aluminum became the material of choice in time, it covers many of the characteristics needed using one material.

Oceanreels

Mike, thanks again.
So when are you going to do a Book from 1958 and on for Penn reels?
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Penn Chronology

QuoteSo when are you going to do a Book from 1958 and on for Penn reels?

In progress. Long road...

coastal_dan

Quote from: Penn Chronology on June 23, 2017, 05:35:55 AM
QuoteSo when are you going to do a Book from 1958 and on for Penn reels?

Music to your fan's ears  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

sdlehr

Quote from: coastal_dan on June 23, 2017, 02:27:08 PM
Music to your fan's ears  ;D
Yes and no :)  I don't want to be tempted to collect any more than Penn reels from their first 10-15 years of existence; I've kind of stopped when the parts became numbered in most cases. I'm not sure how I'll react to a whole new bunch of information :)

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

Quote from: Penn Chronology on June 23, 2017, 05:35:55 AM

I'll be first in line for a copy!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteYes and no Smiley  I don't want to be tempted to collect any more than Penn reels from their first 10-15 years of existence; I've kind of stopped when the parts became numbered in most cases. I'm not sure how I'll react to a whole new bunch of information Smiley

Sid

Exactly how I feel. That is why the road is so long for this book. I put so much into the first three, now it is like starting all over and I do not have the dramatic times of the Depression and WW II to make things more interesting. I also hope to have learned from my initial mistakes, so the Volume II should be a better working book. Not enough hours in my days.

There is an Ocean City book at the editing stage. Let see, the Blue went into the editing stage about 2010 and was published in 2014, if you would have seen the first draft you would understand.  ;D  Hope the OC book does not take as long.....<:O(

moondog371

all these pics are awesome!!!!!!! thanks for sharing!!!!

Deepennz

Hi there,

We have all seen Penn reels with white spools - I have seen #80's, #85's and LB60's.
Here is my white spool #80 -

However, this is the only white spool #155 I have seen - a 1942 reel(no yardage stamp on the foot)

I found this one in very good condition, but it had been dropped at some stage and,  as can be seen, the handle is a little loose.

Enjoy.
Cheers
Martin

Maxed Out

Wow, that's the only 155 white spool I've ever seen too.....very cool and unique collector piece !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!