Penn Senators : from the beginning

Started by Superhook, December 21, 2014, 07:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

I do not have copies for sale at this time. Please order from the Whitefish Press.

Superhook

Ted scored an as new late 1940's 6/0 . No pleading ,it is not for sale.

You'll have to wear gloves to handle this beauty.

broadway

Ray, you're right about it being a beauty and a great find, but I believe it's a 6/0. May have to check with Ted for clarification, but I think it's a 6/0.  He probably has a 9/0 just like it, too. ;D
Thanks for posting the photo,
Dom

Penn Chronology

That certainly is a thing of beauty. It falls into that rare and sought after category, """Better Than New""".....................  :o :o

coastal_dan

Oh my, way to go Ted.  Another beauty for your stable.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Superhook

Thanks Dom you are correct , it is definitely a 6/0 . I have edited the photo so as not to leave a mess behind. I'm living in the 9/0 twilight zone .
Funny how he finds these mint reels ....must have developed a Bloodhound like skill that allows him to SNIFF them out.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Superhook on April 30, 2015, 09:06:29 PM
Thanks Dom you are correct , it is definitely a 6/0 . I have edited the photo so as not to leave a mess behind. I'm living in the 9/0 twilight zone .
Funny how he finds these mint reels ....must have developed a Bloodhound like skill that allows him to SNIFF them out.

Funny guy you are Ray. I am more like a Yorkshire terrior than a bloodhound.....and I know nothing about any 9/0. Wish I had one. I have several that look like 9/0 size, but just says "senator" and they all have goofy handles that look homemade, so who knows.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

broadway

Ted, "Black Beard" You do have an uncanny knack for finding lost treasure.
As for your weird handles and no 9/0 logos, they're probably not the real thing... You should send them to me and I'll send you some authentic penn reels that have the 9/0 on the plates and genuine pen handles.😁
Nice find,
Dom

handi2

I just opened up one of the old 9/0's that came apart easily. No parts numbers on any of the parts and shallow steel main gear. The gear sleeve had been changes to SS at some time. There is only enough room in the main gear for 3 washers. No markings at all on the tail plate.

Just a couple of pictures.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Cool pics Keith!

I will buy that reel if it is for sale.  I for one, would like to see pics of the tailplate, reel stand, inside of headplate, and the bridge hole arangement.

What kind of handle came on that reel?

I don't think I would upgrade anything on this reel.  The shallow steel gear, and bronze sleeve bushing are pretty cool, and along with the gearbox location, is indicitive of a pre-1948 reel.  Are the stand bolts short?  Are they mounted in round or square holes?  Does it have a 3-piece spool?  Waffle, or hershy's kiss clicker knob.  What does the handle retaining screw look like (scalloped with or without the set screw?)?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks for sharing!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Keith, put everything back in that reel and leave it alone. You got yourself a little treasure.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 23, 2015, 11:16:08 PM
Cool pics Keith!

I will buy that reel if it is for sale.  I for one, would like to see pics of the tailplate, reel stand, inside of headplate, and the bridge hole arangement.

I don't think I would upgrade anything on this reel.  The shallow steel gear, and bronze sleeve bushing are pretty cool, and along with the gearbox location, is indicitive of a pre-1948 reel.  Are the stand bolts short?  Are they mounted in round or square holes?  Does it have a 3-piece spool?  Waffle, or hershy's kiss clicker knob.  What does the handle retaining screw look like (scalloped with or without the set screw?)?

Thanks for sharing!

I will post the other pictures after I clean all the black oil and grease off the parts. It doesn't have the 3 piece spool but the one I just finished does. I'll switch the spools and check the handle. It was a normal handle with the brown knob.

It had been worked on b/c it had HT-100 washers installed and the click button was a "Hershey" style. The other reel had the waffle click button and no parts lettering.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on June 23, 2015, 11:36:07 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 23, 2015, 11:16:08 PM
Cool pics Keith!

Thanks for sharing!

I will post the other pictures after I clean all the black oil and grease off the parts. It doesn't have the 3 piece spool but the one I just finished does. I'll switch the spools and check the handle. It was a normal handle with the brown knob.

It had been worked on b/c it had HT-100 washers installed and the click button was a "Hershey" style. The other reel had the waffle click button and no parts lettering.

The other reel sounds like it may be an earlier model.  Pics would be great. You may have 2 treasures here.  They both should have 3-piece spools and counterbalanced reel handles w/ coin edged counterweights.  Handles are easy enough to obtain.  LMK if wither reel might be for sale.
Hope springs eternal

handi2

Here are the pictures requested.

I took the 3 piece spool out of the other one that had newer side plate markings but was still a no part numbers reel and has the counterbalanced handle. I'll get that tomorrow.

They are customer reels and I'm sure he would sell some of them. There are 3 of the non bearing 9/0 reels. I have some counter balanced handles in my old handles box but they may be for the 349 and other reels.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Thanks for sharing!
That appears to definately be an early (pre 1940) headplate, and the tailplate is also period correct.  The headplate bushing has been replaced at some point, and should be a non-numbered part, as should all of the rest of the parts (including the stand, rod braces, star, jack, yoke, eccentric and lever, and lever and handle retaining screws.  This reel should have actually had a pencil knob or some other handle, but a large, non-numbered counterbalanced todpedo handle with a large coin-edged counterweight would be period correct.  Since you have 2 older 9/0s apart or in your possesion, I would try to make one complete, period correct reel with as many nonnumbered parts as are available.  Maybe check your handle pile to see if you have any nonnumbered 9/0 sized handle assemblies. 

As with most collectors, the devil is in the details.  Overall condition, period correct/completeness, as well as rarity, and historical significance are paramount. 

LMK if the owner is interested in selling this older, prewar 9/0.  You can certainly have him email me directly.

Also, I am looking for nonnumbered parts (3-piece spool, and power handle) for an early 14/0.  Lmk if you come accross anything laying around your shop there.
Hope springs eternal