Penn Senators : from the beginning

Started by Superhook, December 21, 2014, 07:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

broadway

Looking at that photo of (part) of Ted's collection makes me realize it's possible to amass an unreal collection with a keen eye that can look past the bent lug, cracked handle grip, Etc. and make these reels mint again and period correct. Patience is the name of the game, and that's one of the major things to make a collector's collection stick out above the rest. You wouldn't waste your time on a labor of love like this one if you were in it for the money... This is strictly a passionate way of finding treasure that Ted is a master at. If you're looking for mint lighthouse boxed Penn Senators you either need to be independently wealthy, or have the ability and patience to put one together for yourself. Sourcing parts and boxes aren't easy, actually usually more difficult than finding the reel in many cases. Thanks for showing us what's possible in this day and age of Penn reels. Ray, thanks for posting that photo... Ted's a bit too modest sometimes.
Great stuff,
Dom
Ps- show me a first gen. 16/0 and yes, I'm all over that... But I'll have to watch out for john because he's on fire with his collecting.

Oceanreels

There are actually 3 versions of the early 16/0 reels without part numbers. First is the 5 O'clock ( first gen. ) handle reel with the same small bridge and sleeve assy. and drags as used on the 12/0.

The second is the 7 O'clock ( second gen. ) handle reel that again has the same bridge, sleeve, and drag assy. as the 12/0 reels. From what I can tell these were made between 1940 & 1941.

The last was made starting in 1942 as shown in the add from The Fishing and Vacation Year Book put out by Field & Stream and Outdoor Life. This reel has the new large bridge, sleeve and drag assy. that became standard on all 12/0 and 16/0 reels.
    The first gen. reel has a drilled 3 piece spool. The 2 early second gens., with the 12/0 bridge, sleeve and drag assy. that I have, both have line on them so I can't tell if the spools are drilled or not.

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

broadway

I asked and I shall receive... I said I'd be all over a first gen 16/0, but I'm pretty sure these aren't on the auction block.  Is that the only 1st gen. 16/0 brought into the public eye so far?
Thanks for showing us what's out there, Brian.  You sure know how to make an introduction.  That linen line looks like rope. :o
Dom

Penn Chronology

Brian,

Glad to see you make your way over to this site. You are gonna Love it here ;D

You know who!

Alto Mare

Welcome Brian, nice to have you here.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Oceanreels

Thanks Sal, glad I found out you had a forum on old reels.
Yes, I know who. I'm glad you mentioned this forum.
    Dom,  that is the only 1st gen. 16/0 brought into the public eye so far. You are correct it is not on the auction block.
  I figured I should introduce myself to everyone so I put something on First Post. It is not my first post, but thought it was the best place to do it.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Oceanreels on October 13, 2015, 04:35:09 PM
    Thanks Sal, glad I found out you had a forum on old reels.
Yes, I know who. I'm glad you mentioned this forum.
    Dom,  that is the only 1st gen. 16/0 brought into the public eye so far. You are correct it is not on the auction block.
  I figured I should introduce myself to everyone so I put something on First Post. It is not my first post, but thought it was the best place to do it.

Brian,
I am glad to have you onboard.  Way to come in with a *Bang*
It appears you have a wealth of knowledge on these old treasures.  We have a good group of guys here, and a number of enthusiastic Penn collectors.  Threads like this, and the enthusiasm, knowledge, and generosity of fellow members turned me onto this fine hobby.  Please stay awhile, I think you will find the atmosphere to your liking.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Maxed Out

............I'm still up for adoption Brian. I don't eat much and I'll pamper the reels daily ! ;D ;) :D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

DillyDally

Hello Everyone.  I'm completely new to this forum...and forums in general!  I'm also pretty new to fishing reel repair, and collecting.  But I've come across a Senator 6/0 with a handle I've never seen before, and in all my research, there's not another forum like this one on the subject!!!  May I post a few pictures, and have your "tight knit crew of collectors" comment?    Thanks!    Dale

Oceanreels

Welcome Dale.  Post your photos everyone is waiting.
   Brian

DillyDally

Thanks for the welcome, Brian!  Here goes...
I can't find a serial number anywhere, but the drive side indicates it's not first generation. I'm guessing mid-late fourties on the year of manufacture.  But the rivet on the handle knob is throwing me off.  I've never seen one like it in any pictures. I'm thinking it's one of two scenarios...1) The oiler got damaged, and somebody put a solid rivet in it's place (NICE JOB, if that's the case), or 2) It was made late in WWII, and the supply of oiler fittings was temporarily not available, so they made due with a solid, non-flush rivet.  This second scenario is not so far fetched.  I'm a luthier, and guitar collector...and I've seen MANY  guitars that came out of the war-time period (or immediate post war, when production resumed) from converted factories that used whatever they could get a hold of to turn out product.  Gibson Guitars, for example, had converted MOST of their production to making skids for gliders during WWII.  But what little guitars they DID make during that period, where not ornate models...and many came out with non-standard parts.  A real hodge podge!  Anyway....anyone seen anything like this?   Dale

Oceanreels

Dale,
Never saw one like it. I think your first scenario is correct as a well as your guess as to age.
  Lets see what others have to say.

broadway

I agree with Brian... it's possible the handle was loosening or too tight, so they popped the oil port bearing and riveted it to get it back on track. Ted, just brought the fact that the oil port bearing gets installed after the handle is riveted on to my attention.  I should've known that but i never really thought about it.
Welcome Dilly!
Dom

Tightlines667

I agree with the above, but am not quite sure how the oiler can be 'popped' off of the handle easily.  Seems like the handle grasp would need to be pressed off of the outter bushing, then the oiler could be punched out from the inside?  I wonder if the oiler had been damaged, and a new one was just partially pressed in from the outside.  I am considering pressing a new oiler into my prewar Silver Beach handle.

Your handle may have had similar damage at one point?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.