S229-5 play in gear sleeve

Started by CooldadE, December 21, 2014, 05:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

I just serviced my S229-5 reel and upon assembly I noticed more end play in the handle/ gear sleeve.than I remember. I disassembled and reassembled checking all parts and they are in the correct sequence. Is this common ? I see at the top of the gear sleeve after assembly the shaft that is threaded for a screw protrudes a bit. It looks like that is where my end play is. Should I shim it, file the top of the shaft or leave it alone ?

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Bryan Young

I would take a file to the gear sleeve shaft or shim the gear sleeve.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tunacious

I'm not real familiar with the S series. Can you describe what you mean by the "handle play"?

Are you sure you have the one ss washer sitting on top of the ledge of the gear sleeve? The star must be tightened enough so it is below the ledge area. Also make sure the other washers and handle are on straight before tightening the lock nut.

CooldadE

The handle/ end play I am talking about is in and out movement of the gear sleeve its self. When all is assembled the handle which is attached to gear sleeve moves I and out. I hope I have explained it clearly. I just don't remember the play being that much. I understand it does need a certain amount of play or it wouldn't crank smoothly.

Newell Nut

You can file the end of the post where the screw goes but if you file too much then you will bind up. You could go to Ace or Lowes and get a very small and thin SS washer for a shim also.
The end play is not a problem unless you slipped above the dog.

CooldadE

Thanks for the replies... It doesn't seen to be a problem besides that clunky feeling when reeling. seems like all my Penn reels do it to a point also. A shim washer would be best but finding one the right thickness might be tough. I'll see if I can measure the play with a feeler gauge and see what I need to look for.

Cool

Shark Hunter

The end play is common Cooldad. It is a pet peeve of mine. I shim the sleeve as Dwight suggested to get rid of it.
Life is Good!

FatTuna

Hey Shark what are you using to shim your sleeves? Just a brass shim?

CooldadE

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 21, 2014, 07:29:24 PM
The end play is common Cooldad. It is a pet peeve of mine. I shim the sleeve as Dwight suggested to get rid of it.

I see McMaster-Carr has some SS washer shims in various thicknesses. Would like to find something locally if I could...

Cool

Shark Hunter

Quote from: fatstriper on December 21, 2014, 07:32:26 PM
Hey Shark what are you using to shim your sleeves? Just a brass shim?
Yes,
From Mcmaster Carr. They fit the 6/0 and up perfectly.
Life is Good!

FatTuna

That's a pet peeve of mine too. Thanks for the tip.

bluefish69

You can't build up under the Gear Sleeve by much. Try putting 1-2 Penn 8-60 Spring Washers on top of the Bevel to fill the space. You might end up with some drag with the Star backed off all the way, it doesn't mean anything if you can live with it.

Mike

Some day Alan from B P will make us real SS Bridge Sleeves.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

I would not shim under the sprocket on this reel. Put a tiny shim between the screw that holds the gear sleeve in place and the gear sleeve. I did that on one of mine and it worked great.

CooldadE

Quote from: Newell Nut on December 22, 2014, 02:13:14 AM
I would not shim under the sprocket on this reel. Put a tiny shim between the screw that holds the gear sleeve in place and the gear sleeve. I did that on one of mine and it worked great.

Good advice ! I made one out of an aluminum can to experiment . It was to thin. You have done it so you know, it's a hecka small diameter shim . I might look at the Hobby shop for some smal SS washers and sand to thickness.
Thank everybody for the feedback.

Cool