113HLW Refinshing/Refurbishing

Started by Shiftee, December 23, 2014, 12:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiftee

Grabbed a Penn 113 HLW a few months back on ebay. The owner claimed it was from an estate sale and didnt even know what kind of reel it was. As a result it probably wasn't listed well enough to get a ton of attention and allowed me to grab it pretty cheap. Cosmetically it didnt look too bad from the outside but it was a still a little bit of a gamble. When I got it I opened it up and the internals were disgusting. Gears were in pretty bad shape, drag was so seized up the washers came out as one piece. I figured oh well, I cerakote enough guns, time to see how the stuff does on reels. Ordered new stainless guts from dawn, Alan's 3/0 handle and custom arm from three se7ens. Here's how she looks so far. Still needs a little work but that can wait until I finish the 114HLW I had already started.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Shiftee

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on December 23, 2014, 01:02:33 AM
Is that paint or powder coating?

Cerakote, it's an over cured ceramic coating. NIC, the company that makes cerakote, also has its prismatic powders line of powder coating. I haven't done much with powder coating as most of the applications I refinish have tight tolerances.

Shark Hunter

WOW Shiftee!
Looks like you know what you are doing Brother. ;)
That Reel looks Awesome! Darth Vader fo sho! ;D
Life is Good!

Shiftee

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 23, 2014, 01:46:12 AM
WOW Shiftee!
Looks like you know what you are doing Brother. ;)
That Reel looks Awesome! Darth Vader fo sho! ;D

Thanks man I appreciate it! Darth Vader, I like the name. Funny because I was trying to come up with something last night and was drawing blanks. My Jeep is already black betty, so that was taken. I was going to order some new colors but at $35/4 ounces I couldnt justify not using what I've got in stock. Not exactly wanting a flat dark earth or foliage green reel I mixed a little titanium and graphite black. Still gotta decide whether to replace the eccentric lever or fab a solution to the missing end. Few other odds and ends and she should be good to go this season.

Alto Mare

Shiftee, I know that everyone has different test, but to me, tht is one of the best I've seen, even better then my reds.
It looks like something that came out for the Army, some type of special equipment, just like that stuff you got hanging on your wall. ;D
Very nice job, painting might not take long, but I could  tell that you've spent some time with prepping. That reel needed lots of sanding, the edges are perfect now.
Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Not fimilar with Cerakote, but looks awesome! Great work. I saw that reel listed awhile back, it was cheap but had no need for it. Looks like it found a much better home! eBay has had some great deals lately. Got a fully accurate converted 99 jigmaster in 9/10 condition for $112 shipped! :o

gstours

Hey great to be different!  tell us more about the cerecote. is it a powder coating? a spray on thing or what? the prepping is a low cost love thing! just wondered if its for the novice, or do you have to invest in specialized equipment to apply or cure it.
  I sure like the looks of the offcolored avets and makairas coming out.  unique and custom to say the least.    thanks for sharing more info!  gst.

Shiftee

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 23, 2014, 02:48:21 AM
Shiftee, I know that everyone has different test, but to me, tht is one of the best I've seen, even better then my reds.
It looks like something that came out for the Army, some type of special equipment, just like that stuff you got hanging on your wall. ;D
Very nice job, painting might not take long, but I could  tell that you've spent some time with prepping. That reel needed lots of sanding, the edges are perfect now.
Thanks for sharing.
Sal

Thanks Sal! I've seen some of the stuff you guys do on here so it means alot to hear you guys liked it. That's how it goes, an hour of prep for every minute of paint.

fIsHsTiiCkS, you can really find some steals on ebay. I typically check to see what's out there a couple times a week. Found that reel while I was looking for some accuplates for my 114hlw. Looking like that might be a lost cause but I've found a few other deals along the way.

Gstours, Cerakote is a ceramic based firearms finish. They do offer coatings tailored towards vehicles as well and they also have a powder line.  It's a spray coating applied with an hvlp gun. They sell two main types, oven cured and ambient cure. The oven cure is a harder finish but has a lower heat tolerance (500 degrees) than their ambient cure. Typically ambient cure is used for optics and other firearms components you cant bake. After dry it will tolerate temps up to 1500 degrees. Makes it effective for optics and other components you cant bake along with silencers which get a little hot. It's possible for the novice to get into it depending on how outfitted your workspace is or what you're willing to spend. You'll need a blast cabinet, parts washer and an oven at the minimum. The stuff is pretty nasty health wise so a good respirator and ventilation is essential. For that same reason I wouldnt recommend pirating the wife's oven to cure parts. Not sure if the health concerns are linked to the coating itself or if the cure process leaves anything behind. I just wouldnt feel comfortable taking the chance.

Here's a couple links to some of the stuff I've done.
http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/gallery/detail/5395/Cerakote-H267-MagPul-Flat-Dark-Earth-with-H231-MagPul-Foliage-Green-and-H236-OD-Green/

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/gallery/detail/5064/Cerakote-H199-Desert-Sand-with-H231-MagPul-Foliage-Green/

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/gallery/detail/3812/Cerakote-H148-Burnt-Bronze-with-H267-MagPul-Flat-Dark-Earth-with-C110-Micro-Slick/

There's also a gallery for non-firearms applications. Some pretty cool applications people have come up with. http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/gallery/?category_id=13