Topic idea and gear request

Started by Shiftee, December 28, 2014, 12:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiftee

I couldn't find a perfect place to post this topic so I wondered if anyone, specifically the boss, thought a new category for general "Gear" questions in the fishing section might be helpful. Something to include topics like tackle boxes, dry bags, harnesses, belts, knives etc. Not sure how the logistics of that type of thing work but just an idea.

Anyway, my question. I go through fishing knives like underwear. My edc knives and hunting/bushcraft/fighting knives have been through hell and back and have been with me for years. My fishing knives on the other hand... fillet knives in particular get destroyed in no time. Now it could just be my unwillingness to pay $250+ for a fillet knife but I wanted to see if anyone had any preferences or recommendations? Obviously there's a massive difference between the blade thickness on say my BK2 and a fillet knife but there should be a fairly decent compromise somewhere. Is there anything with the reputation/durability of the spyderco salt but in a fillet style? http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Plain-Yellow-Steel-Knife/dp/B0017UZJ9Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419728078&sr=8-1&keywords=spyderco+salt

LTM

My Forschner fillet knives have served me well over the years. Spyderco made a sprint run/forum fishing/fillet knife in H1 steel. I believe its the one with the green handle. There are two versions; the latter has the H1 steel and a nice flexible blade.

Leo

Shark Hunter

Shiftee,
Please don't take offense, but I think your style of carry knives are the ones I keep in the safe. Spyderco makes a fine product, but for the salt, I choose the cheaper route, just in case I lose it in the sand or someone decides to make it theirs. I didn't give 10 dollars for this knife, but it has served me well and will continue to do so. I keep it oiled and only sharpen it with a steel. I have do doubt that it will cut your finger clean off if it gets in the way.

I keep a bigger Machete style in my shark bag just in case, but this cheapo is my go to blade.

Life is Good!

SoCalAngler

I also use a Forschner Cimeter fillet knife and it has served me well over many years. Forschner's are pretty much a standard for many of the deckhands here in So Cal.

EDIT: Forschner is now Victorinox and I like a 10" Cimeter model #40539 for most of my filleting.

Bill B

To resurrect an old thread....I'm looking for a new filet knife and have been intrigued with the Bubba Blades, specifically the 9" flex
https://www.bubbablade.com/products/the-bubba-blade-9-inch-flex-fillet-knife

Does anyone have any experience with this maker, I am trying to not get caught up in the hype and make an informed purchase.....the 9" flex is similiar to the Vicorinox 10" cimitar perviously noted.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oc1

I've used the same Rapala fillet knife for about fifty years but it doesn't go to the beach or boat.  A bait/utility knife that stays on the boat only lasts a few years.
-steve

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pjstevko

Quote from: Keta on December 24, 2016, 03:08:16 PM
I like Dexter Russel knives.

+1

All the knives used in most fish houses I've worked at have all been Dexter Russel. They are reasonably priced,  good quality and offer plenty of styles and sizes....

Shark Hunter

Quote from: TARFU on December 24, 2016, 06:11:16 AM
To resurrect an old thread....I'm looking for a new filet knife and have been intrigued with the Bubba Blades, specifically the 9" flex
https://www.bubbablade.com/products/the-bubba-blade-9-inch-flex-fillet-knife

Does anyone have any experience with this maker, I am trying to not get caught up in the hype and make an informed purchase.....the 9" flex is similiar to the Vicorinox 10" cimitar perviously noted.....Bill
Bill,
My cheapo knife I was showing earlier snapped the Blade from the Handle trying to cut up a frozen Ray.
Tried to use the wrong tool for the Job. I broke out my Bubba Blade and it made quick work of it.
I was so impressed by it, I bought another one as soon as I got back from that Trip.
This isn't the flex model. I use it mainly for cutting up large Baits.

Life is Good!

FatTuna

I use the Dexter Russell knives for filleting on the boat. I have a few different sizes and types. One is a long fillet style. One is a scalloped edge. One is a small bait knife. They are all stainless steel. The high carbon steel ones are sharp but they rust out if you leave them on board.

At home I use a Cutco fillet knife. Don't want that one getting ruined.

When we dress a fish, I use the Bubba blade. It's really strong and sharp. You can hack away at all the guts no problem.

For camping and outdoor use I use my Buck 119.

gstours

Knives for fish are like pretty girls at the beach!  ???  Everyone has a preference....  Size,price,flex,corrosion resistance etc.   For my fishing I use the Forschener brand, Lately ive found some very good Kershaw in Cemetar and Filet that are holding up well.  Im my area most charter boats and neighbors use the Dexter Russell knives....... You cant go wrong with any of these brands......Order on line where theres a better selection and pricing if you want?   Use a fine diamond 6-800 sharpener and ceramic sticks to keep the edge tops!
    More later about girls on the beach! ;)

STRIPER LOU

I too like the Dexter/Russell large serrated knife. Large Stripers have skin like armor and I use to carry several knives. A buddy of mine let me use his large serrated Dexter, it cut like butter and I was able to skin with it with no problems at all.
Great knife and I actually got 2 seasons out of it before sharpening. I was amazed! Especially for a knife around 25 bucks!
Best,  ..  Lou

Gfish

I've found that the knives with medium quality steel are much eaiser to keep sharp and if I can rinse 'em right after use, then it's not a hassel to sharpen during my down(TV) time, that same nite. For me there's a point of diminishing returns on length(fillet knives), gotta be 1&1/3 the dorsal to ventral lengh a the average fish I fillet. Should flex without permanent bending, and no cuttin through thick ribs on big 'uns, 'er vertebrae on anything(non-flexible bone knife & tin-snips).

Sounds like good Idea about the gear category. Gotta wonder though, is there a "point of diminishing returns" for complexity, in terms a navigating the forum.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

I have a dozen Dexters and half dozen rapakas. Love all.  My buddy is military and no patience for inferior gear loves the Bubba.