Topic idea and gear request

Started by Shiftee, December 28, 2014, 12:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I've been using the bubba blade since 2 years ago and nothing but good and nice fillets, I use it mostly on big fish, its not that flexible like some others but you can sharp it really good with a stone.

for medium size fish like spanish mac, whitefish, triggers, etc I preffer a cheapo rapala knife recently sharpened
The Baja Guy

mley1

Quote from: TARFU on December 24, 2016, 06:11:16 AM
To resurrect an old thread....I'm looking for a new filet knife and have been intrigued with the Bubba Blades, specifically the 9" flex
https://www.bubbablade.com/products/the-bubba-blade-9-inch-flex-fillet-knife

Does anyone have any experience with this maker, I am trying to not get caught up in the hype and make an informed purchase.....the 9" flex is similiar to the Vicorinox 10" cimitar perviously noted.....Bill

I got a Bubba Blade 9" flex. I'm not impressed. It dulled very quickly on me. Not to bad to sharpen, but dulls quick, especially if you cut across large scales or through thick bones. My sits in my man cave waiting. I much prefer a Vic, Dexter, or one of the old USA made Schrades with the green rubber handles. The Dexters get a lot of use from me, and the Vic. 

Someone mentioned that Spyderco made one in H1 steel. I gotta check that out. I have one of their knives with an H1 steel blade it it's fantastic with regard to salt water. I've wade fished with it in salt water, and there was absolutely no rust issue at all. I've used it for several years in the salt water, and there's no sign of rust. the only maintenance I've done to it is oil the joint and sharpen it. H1 is good stuff in the salt environment.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

Fishy247

I learned to fillet with a 10" Forschner cimeter way back in the day and it it excellent for cutting larger fish that have a thicker ribcage, also for steaking salmon, etc. When I moved up north, I began using a Dexter Russell 9" narrow fillet knife. Much easier to quickly clean up a bunch of rockfish and lingcod. For tuna and other pelagics, I like a 7" narrow Dexter. I've found that the Dexters hold their edge quite well if you reasonably protect the blade with either a sheath or wrapping it in a rag. I used to put in 150-200 days on the water with upwards of 40 passengers fishing rockfish and I would get at least a season and a half out of my knife....unless some bonehead(me) did something stupid with it and dropped it overboard or something....lol

Donnyboat

I find Victronox knives are as good as any, if your cuting small fish baits, dont sharpen your knife to flat, or it will chip easy, I carry a long blade knife not to sharp for exstracting the skins of off fish, if it is not to sharp, then you do not cut through the skins as you slide them between the flesh & skin, best if a knife is stailess steel, for the marine situaction, I have two pouches screwed to the back of the boat seats, hold two knifes each, the pouches come apart for easy washing after each trip, cheers donnyboat.
Don, or donnyboat

steelhead_killer

Dexter for the past 20 years.  Found one in the river one day in a sheath.  It sharpened right up.  Been using it ever since.  Salmon and steelhead are pretty easy on any knife.

Andy
><)))">

conchydong

Another vote for Dexter Russell. Inexpensive and they get the job done.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Bill B

Ok you guys sold me on Dexter Russel, got two, a 8" wide filet and a 8" breaking knife, should get them next week.....thank you for all your input....now need to get some fish....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

David Hall

Whichever knife you choose, no matter what the quality is. Do not leave it on your boat in saltwater environment.  Nothing can withstand it.
I been using cutco Fishermans friend for the past five years.  One travels in my gear bag, one stays at home in the kitchen.

Bill B

Thanks for the heads up...about the only salt they will see is when I hitch hike on a boat.....The knives should be waiting for me when I return to Sacramento......I'm a two and half week vacation in SoCal right now.....hoping the strip d bass are still there....they were pretty thick a couple weeks ago....Bill

boon

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 24, 2016, 06:15:13 PM
My cheapo knife I was showing earlier snapped the Blade from the Handle trying to cut up a frozen Ray.

Random piece of advice but try a serrated/scalloped blade for cutting frozen baits, does a much better job than a straight edge especially if there's little bony bits involved.

Bill B

Ok I took the plunge and bought a Dexter Knife, well couldnt decide so I ordered two  ;D, a 8" wide filtet and 8" breaking knife.....now to catch some fish and try them out....Thank you to all for your advice.....Bill

Tightlines667

You won't be dissapointed.

I have a pair of Dexters, a Victorinox, and I recently aquired a J.A.Henkels Cleaver from Santa.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

coastal_dan

Love those 'Alasken Blades', my inlaws got us a board/knife set for Christmas...flippin sweet.

I use a Bubba Blade as well as a mixed set of Dexters.  That Bubba blade is just so dang sharp and holds the edge...carved our entire Thanksgiving turkey without a hone or hit from the Ever Sharp.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...