AG chain knot?

Started by Nicko_Cairns, December 30, 2014, 01:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicko_Cairns

Anyone tried it? I've tied a few with a rizzuto finish and it seems incredibly strong. It is looking like a go to knot for me. I'll try to find some good knot strength testing on the web.

maxpowers

It is one of the strongest knot out there but you will get funny looks from traditionalist.  It would probably be a great knot for trolling dead bait as it has a nice spring like effect.

jonnou

I have been using it a lot and it hasn't let me down yet. It is fast to tie when you get used to it

Nicko_Cairns

Cheers guys, I'm really happy with it so far.

Abot

Any info on how to tie this one would be appreciated

Aiala

Quote from: Abot on November 22, 2015, 12:07:40 AM

:)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Nicko - The only site I know that has done extensive line and knot testing is this one:

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/

Abot

Quote from: Aiala on November 22, 2015, 01:53:45 AM
Quote from: Abot on November 22, 2015, 12:07:40 AM

:)

~A~
Thank you for the link Aiala
I like the idea behind this knot where there is no stress concentration
I have done a bit more looking around on the net and will try it a bit and report back

Abot

Well I think I have plaited or biminied my last double, this is the only knot I have tried that will equal a good good uni knot on a doubled line

There is one proviso, you need to use a sleeve on the loop to the hook or ring, I used 3/8 th of an inch of 130 Dacron, it ended up frayed to hell after a lot of testing but did its job

wallacewt

hi abot
did you try twice through the eye of the hook
instead of a sleeve,
cheers

Abot

No I didn't but will try it

wallacewt

i had time today to test the ag knot against the palomar knot
hooks and leader.leader is k-mart,$13aud/100m.good stuff,so good i gave fluoro the flick.
1st test. normal  palomar/ag,two loops through eye of hook. ag broke at 18lb,  pal; wins
2nd test pal/ag both get a sleeve.ag wins.pal breaks  at 23lb
3rd test.no sleeve for pal. sleeve for ag. a draw neither broke at 27lb,bucket was full
hooks were tied, 1 on each end of 12" leader material

full bucket at 27lb.
nothing scientific about these test,suits me though.
sleeve for ag/no sleeve for palomar
use whichever you like best.it dont matter

Alto Mare

You keep experimenting buddy, I'm listening ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

tristan

Just tied my first AG Chain knot, it's a simple as can be.    The only concern I have is will the half hitches unravel?    If necessary, could touch a flame to the tag end, but would have to be careful about damaging the running line...

So, how many half-hitches are required to make it reliable?

boon

For me this know works ok up to about 80lb mono, but currently the only place where I would use it is connecting my jigging terminals and tying it in the 120lb hard fluorocarbon we're using is a horrible job that requires pliers to cinch each half-hitch to get a knot that isn't horrible.

I'll stick to uni knots for that use-case, for now... at least I can confidently tie them while at sea.