Dramamine Overdose

Started by Norcal Pescador, October 27, 2010, 07:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

Last June, five of us took a half-day 6-pak boat out of Trinidad, CA for some bottomfishing. The seas around Trinidad are notoriously rough where high seas are the norm especially with much of a wind. I didn't know about the "21 rule" at that time - add wind speed to swell height, if over 21 stay home. George, a small man in his 70's, was especially anxious (nervous and worried) about getting seasick, so he took two Dramamine the night before, more the next morniing, and was nibbling on ginger at breakfast. Remember your mommies giving you ginger ale for an upset tummy?

It didn't take long for George to get sick, sick, sick. After several trips to the head (and over the rail), George passed out as he was sitting down on the deck. Fortunately, he was already sitting when he passed out, did a slow roll forward and hit his head. A little blood and a big knot. He had been drinking water. After verifying he was okay and talking to him, we cut the trip short and returned to port. George felt better on terra firma and took the rest of the day easy on our 4 hour drive home.

George showed the following symptoms of the many listed for a Dramamine OD: Delirium, Drowsiness, Low blood pressure, Unsteadiness, Unconsciousness.

So take medications carefully - more is not always better, follow the instructions on the label - even over the counter meds, and keep drinking fluids - low caffiene, no alcohol, even if it's freezing cold out. Talk to your prescriber and your pharmacist for whatever meds you take, even OTC. AND WATCH OUT FOR YOUR FISHING BUDDIES!!
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Good advice, Norcal: I used to take dramamine and it made me drowsy.  I didn't get sick but I didn't enjoy myself either because I was nodding off.  I stopped fishing for years, until I found out about Trans Dermal Scopalamine.  That's the patch one puts behind the ear.  It was like finding a new world.  I could go fishing and eat a sandwich and drink a beer or two without getting sick or even worrying about getting sick.  I put the patch on before I go to bed the night before fishing.  The only side effect I found is a dry mouth in the morning.  It's a prescription drug and if anyone is interested, just ask your doctor to prescribe it.  I was down in Baja last month and told my daughter's boyfriend about "the patch."  He said no matter what he did he got seasick.  I convinced him to get a prescription and he used it for the first time last month.  I created a monster.  He said I "opened a whole new world for him."  Now he wants to go out a boat all the time.  It's great stuff.  I can't fish without it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Phinaddict

Wise words, Rob!

Our local NorCal waters are no fun when you get over 15 feet or so... which is almost normal it seems.
I think you can count on your hand the number of days we get buoy reports with 2-4' swells.
I wish we had the conditions like in SoCal or Florida...heck, I wish we had the fishing they have too!

Safety at sea is critical. Even when I take my kayak out in the bay, I take a radio and other safety gear 'cause you just never know....
Gene
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Bucktail

Quote from: Phinaddict on November 21, 2010, 04:42:32 AM
Wise words, Rob!

Our local NorCal waters are no fun when you get over 15 feet or so... which is almost normal it seems.

Over 15 ft seas?!    :o :-X

;D
Just a jig-a-lo

Phinaddict

And here is local local forecast:

Today...NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell 9 to 12 ft at 12 seconds. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms.

No crabbing today...... >:(
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Bucktail on November 21, 2010, 04:23:16 PM
Quote from: Phinaddict on November 21, 2010, 04:42:32 AM
Wise words, Rob!

Over 15 ft seas?!    :o :-X

;D

Pretty close. When we were in the bottom of a swell that day the top of the swell was about as tall as the boat's mast, 15 feet above the waterline. And the swells were on about a 6-8 second interval. :P
Rob
Rob

borchcl

I spent many trips hanging over the rail while fishing of the Gulf coast of Texas. Then I used the "patch" (Tranderm Scop) for a few years and while it worked, there were problems. The patch should be applied the night before to build up an effective doseage, and that doseage is hard to control. The patch can also cause irritation at the spot of application. I found a better solution, called Scopace (Hope Pharmaceutical). Also available only by prescription, it is a 0.4 mg tablet. Tablets can be cut in half so doseage can be talored to your needs. It can be taken the morning before going fishing, so avoiding the waste of an expensive patch if the weather turns sour. IMHO, it is superior to the patch.
borch

Alto Mare

Good advice Rob, I've been in 16 foot swells before, it's no fun. Luckly for me, my buddy the deck mate and the captain were all Ok, two other guys got sick as a dog. That was one lousy day that I will never forget, on top of everything else, my tuna was 1/2 inch short and had to go back. :'( I wonder if poor old Gearge is still anjoing his fishing today. :(
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

as a guide we go 15,makes us pussies,15 wind,1.5 seas 1.5 swell but we dont get sick ,all the time

Norcal Pescador

Wallace, there's no point in abusing yourself. :P  And fishing's supposed to be fun, right? Unless you're a commercial fisherman, we always have a choice. ;)  Both times I went out in rough seas I came back with bruises from getting smacked against the rail.

Sal, "Old George" wants to go again and has been asking me when the next trip is. :)  I guess I've become the de facto chartermaster. :-\   You should have used a lip-stretcher for that short tuna. ;D ;D

Cheers!
Rob
Rob

Dominick

Quote from: norcal pescador on April 09, 2011, 05:25:49 PM
And fishing's supposed to be fun, right? Unless you're a commercial fisherman, we always have a choice. Rob

Rob:  My philosophy exactly.  I want to kick back and enjoy the trip.  The catching part is the cream.  So if it looks like it is going to be rough, I wait for another day.  I feel sorry for the guys that have to go out to make a living.  I wouldn't do it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Dominick, Your post beat mine, we were typing at the same time, I will still post it. ;D
Rob, I had a few ideas on how to gain a 1/2 inch, but the captain wouldn't hear of it, as  you already know, out there it's their rules or no rules. That was my only tuna thus far....what a hard fighting fish took off twice on me, my shoulder was sore for two weeks. I'm glad that George is ready to go again, gee I wonder if Dominick will be that determined in a year or two. Sorry cumba', couldn't resist. ;D ;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marlinmate

FOr using Dramamine, the best results occur when the following happens:

the night before fishing, do not eat at all you can eat buffets and follow up with all you can drink happy hour.
Prior to bed, take 1 Dramamine pill.
When you wake up, don't eat 2 Egg McMuffins, sausage gravy and an xtra large coffee. Do take 1 more Dramamine pill...and enjoy fishing

Or.....get the patch and not have to worry about any of the above.

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Marlinmate on April 09, 2011, 11:03:18 PM
FOr using Dramamine, the best results occur when the following happens:

the night before fishing, do not eat at all you can eat buffets and follow up with all you can drink happy hour.  .........  When you wake up, ........ don't eat 2 Egg McMuffins, sausage gravy and an xtra large coffee.
Exactly! When I was flying as part of my job, sometimes I spent up to 5 1/2 hours in the air at a time in a small plane, and the turbulence at times was a bit much. :P  In order to keep my stomach (and its contents) where it was supposed to be, I developed a motto: "Eat light and eat often."  The system involved keeping just enough food, especially acid absorbers, in my stomach to keep the acid from sloshing around and somewhat neutralized. :)  I told others about it and it has worked for some of them, too. 8)  It has also worked for me on the water.
If you have a system that works, use it and pass it along to others. Not everyone can use the same method, but sooner or later one will come along that works. ;)
Rob
Rob

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on April 09, 2011, 06:10:24 PM
Quote from: norcal pescador on April 09, 2011, 05:25:49 PM
And fishing's supposed to be fun, right? Unless you're a commercial fisherman, we always have a choice. Rob

Rob:  My philosophy exactly.  I want to kick back and enjoy the trip.  The catching part is the cream.  So if it looks like it is going to be rough, I wait for another day.  I feel sorry for the guys that have to go out to make a living.  I wouldn't do it.  Dominick

Dominick I hear you, but that's not always the case. You could be out there on a gorgeous day and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose.
It happened to me a few times, luckly I was only a couple of mile out. Keep in mind that this is the North East, not the Gulf of Mexico.

Rob, you don't look like you're under nourished. ;D ;D Sorry bud, I had too. About keeping the acid down, that makes perfect sense.