Dramamine Overdose

Started by Norcal Pescador, October 27, 2010, 07:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Quote from: Dominick on April 11, 2011, 04:16:26 PM
Hey Codhead:  That might work.  The glasses I mean.  I read somewhere that motion sickness comes as a result of the eye confusing the brain, or was it the other way around? ???  Dominick

I have never been sea sick but recently had concerns over getting sun glasses with bifocals to help my hook tying with shades on. I was worried that it may bother me. They work great and don't bother my a bit. Don't have to remove glasses now to tie hooks.  ;D ;D

Shark Hunter

I need a pair of those Dwight. I don't get sea sick either. I think a lot of that is a mind game.
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

The only person in my family to get sick was my Dad. My sister fished offshore for the first time this week and had a blast and we had a bunch of chummers in just 3 feet seas. She could not understand why those people were sick. I agree on mostly a mind thing.

Go for the bifocals instead of the next reel. You will like them.

philaroman

motion sickness is most definitely NOT a "mind thing" -- it's a genetic predisposition that mostly involves the inner ear & vision, to a much lesser extent.  if you don't get it, you have no clue about it & be VERY, VERY glad that you don't...  well, if you ever had really bad alcohol poisoning -- that's pretty close, but you can't pass out & vomiting doesn't help no matter how much you do it, and do it, and do it, and...

Tightlines667

Everyone is prone to seasickness.  Those that havn't experienced it yet just havn't been exposed to the right set of conditions.  Having said that, there is a strong genetic component (mostly related to inner ear structure), and it is possible to become conditioned to life at sea and reduce its occurrence.  I used to get very sea sick nearly every time I went out in 15knot+ conditions throughout my childhood, and as an adult working and living aboard commercial fishing vessels (40-120' loa), I only got sick 6 days outta over 3000.  So there is hope.  There are things you can do to delay onset and prevent getting sick...
-staying active, stay in fresh air, watch the horizon, avoid sugar, medicine, caffeine, stimulate pressure points (wrists, behind ears, temples, neck, etc), take motion sick medication (not a long-term solution), eat plain absorbant type foods (I.e. saltines), ginger...avoid spicy or salty foods.  Stay hydrated.  Also, avoid the temptation to go up front (where it moves the most), close your eyes, and try to sleep it off.  Succumbing to  The lethargy, and drowsiness, is typically giving in to getting sick (unless it's due to taking meds).  As soon as you see someone getting a bit pale..put em to work, give them a task (or severel) to do while they remain in deck.  Check the baits, drive the boat, etc.  Many times people tend to want to leave the person getting sick alone, when usually the best thing you can do is give them something else to focus on.  I'm sure we've all seen the guy that's sick as a dog one minute, and right as rain as soon as the reel goes off and they are thrown into battle..case in point.  Just a few personal observations/suggestions based on having spent a good chunk of my life at sea.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

I Guess I don't understand it Phil. I am lucky it has never happened to me. When I was a young man, fresh out of High School, I joined the Navy. My Uncle Delno told me, don't go to sea on an empty stomach. Keep something in your belly and you will be fine. I did as Uncle said and it works great for me.
I was on a Destroyer and that thing would bob up and down like no ones business. So much that if you sat in a chair and didn't have hold of something, you were going for a ride. ;)
I saw a lot of guys get sea sick and they stopped eating. I think that made it worse.
Life is Good!

OSIRIS631

I have a friend who once told me on a fishing trip that he would never get seasick... and was busting chops with all the guys in the group that got sick making fun of them..

So rascal that I am, I got him to go sit in the back with me... by the diesel engines just when the began preparing the bunker chum... mmm mmm niece rotten bunker all grounded up and the beautiful smell of buring diesel did the trick.  Guy spent the nxt four hours like a yack, up chucking everything he had in his belly..   hehehe.

Regards,

John
Sometimes your the dog and sometimes your the tree.

Shark Hunter

I think that would have done it to me too John. :P I would never make fun of anybody because they got seasick, unless it was Dominick! ;D
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 22, 2014, 04:47:31 PM
I think that would have done it to me too John. :P I would never make fun of anybody because they got seasick, unless it was Dominick! ;D
Yeah but I'd puke on your shoes.  ;) ;) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MFB

I have only been sick on a boat once, but a good fishing mate of mine gets sick looking at a puddle. But once he's a had spit over the side he comes right, most people don't seem to recover until they get back to shore.

Rgds

Mark  
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton