Rare Old D.A.M. Quick 221 Simple Tutorial, Breakdown, Cleaning, Service, Restoration

Started by foakes, January 02, 2015, 08:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawless

Thank you Fred, you've been a great help. This information brings up a new question though, how am I supposed to get the washers with ears into this little round hole? haha
Jeff

foakes

No issues, Jeff --

Just PM me your mailing address -- and I will send you this complete NOS set, plus a couple of new under spool washers.

(1) Spring, (3) metal, (2) resistex, (2) UG washers -- 1 Resistex, 1 brass

Keep the old set for spares --but you will never need them unless you lose them somehow.

Should be good to go.

No Charges.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

lawless

Hi Fred,
   I really appreciate your generous offer but I like that setup with the driving plate and the tooth washer a lot better. Would you have one of those you would sell me? Would my brake spindle and drag nut work with that type of spool or would I need the complete setup?

Jeff

foakes

Hi Jeff --

You can generally find complete used or sometimes new spools on ebay for $10 - $20, or so.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

lawless

If it wasn't for the bail snapping closed on casts I would love this reel. It's a perfect companion to my Baitrunner 6500.

twotone

Thanks for the work you did on my reels (D.A.M. Quick 220 and Johnson Century). These will be great first reels for the grand kids.

Anthony

twotone

Flounder Boy 3

Fred, what do you use to touch up any skinned or scuffed up parts of the finish, especially where the metal is showing through?

Any kind of polish you use? I remember a product called "Back to Black", which I used to use on a truck. Maybe that will work.

foakes

Hi fb3 --

On the DAM Quicks -- they used a Wrinkle paint that comes off a little too easily.

Even NIB old stock Quicks will generally have a chip or two.

When cleaning, I use an ultrasonic cleaner, Simple Green cut 50/50 with water -- and the important thing: no heat, and no more than 4 minutes -- otherwise the paint will come off or become non-binding.

This is the same basic paint that was used on old electronic instrument type devices a half century ago, on radios, automotive valve covers, etc.

There are a few companies that sell something similar -- but the job doesn't turn out perfect -- just fine though.

Eastwood is the best I have found so far -- but there are probably others -- though not too many, anymore.

If there are just a few little chips -- I will just do a touch up with a brush, or the torn end of a cardboard match stick -- works well enough.

One can take all of the paint off with a commercial dipping like they do in a radiator shop pretty quickly -- then prepare the surface -- then repaint the body, sideplate, rotor, and crank arbor deal.  I never pass off a repaint as new -- just restored.  And this process is time consuming.  Generally just clean and do the mechanics, plus lube, replace parts, and tune for proper operation.

The material for the body, rotor, A/R crank arbor, and sideplate are aircraft grade cast aluminum.

Someday, if other projects and the bench ever clears -- I might experiment with different colors, mods to the rotor, Manual Bail Pick-Ups, different crank knobs, etc...but I just like the stock units as is for now.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Flounder Boy 3

Thanks. I looked up Eastwood Black crinkle paint and that may just be the ticket.

I'm going to try touching up a few small spots on my worst Quick and see how it turns out.

foakes

There is a big difference in wrinkle paint and crinkle paint.

Eastwood makes both.

Better results will be with the "wrinkle" paint.

Good luck,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Flounder Boy 3

Quote from: foakes on June 06, 2016, 12:49:30 AM
There is a big difference in wrinkle paint and crinkle paint.

Eastwood makes both.

Better results will be with the "wrinkle" paint.

Good luck,

Fred

Okay, got it.

Thanks.

Deutschangler

foakes this is perfect. You actually sold me on getting a 221 just from this and well, one other article. I'll be putting my Mitchell 300 on ebay soon. The 221 beats it hands down.
Delete this if it creates a stink but your cleanup is beyond my ability. Could I pay you to do a clean/restore on my 221? And, do you have any 220/221 parts to replace the body and rotating head? Yeah, I know it sounds a bit much but mines beautiful except for boat rash.
thanks.

foakes

Glad to help, Mcguyver --

If you wish, I could do a complete restore with new frame, rotating head, and sideplate.

PM me if you wish to go this route.

It would be a complete restore with any parts needed replaced with new.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.